Camo fabric for SOF???

My cousin is asking me if I can do a camo SOF canoe for him.  I figured my two options are to find a camo fabric or find someone to do a camo paint job.

Anyone have any experience in tracking down a camo fabric suitable for this?  I am running into the issue where all the camo fabrics are pre-treated/coated with water resistant or water-proofing materials.

Jeff, any chance of getting the mill to do a small run of camo 11.9 ounce poly?  (more in jest than serious, but ya never know, right?)

Not a chance. The mill I buy from doesn't do any prints, they just make industrial fabrics.  And a small run is is 930 yards of fabric.

I would just paint it. I have wanted to do a camo boat for a while. Just remember to use gloss paint, which is not traditional, camo is usually flat paint. The pattern is random so wih a little searching on line an looking at camo patterns it should be fairly easy to do.

The only other option is watch Rockywoods web site. They have had uncoated nylon camo from time to time. But it is not cheap and often on the light side. But I have seen in the past a heavier uncoated camo. Almost ordered some and sort of wish I had. But I will probably just paint it if I ever get around to redoing my fishing boat.

That fabric might work. Looks interesting!

Of course without seeing it you never know, but his price isn't bad at all. He as 3 other uncoated fabrics too. When I get back from the class I think I will look closer at this. I would sort of like to reskin my fishing boat in camo. I am sure it would attract some attention at the shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it works - Jeff is right - it is 11oz - uncoated.  I just built 2 kayaks with this.  I will most likey build my Ravenswood with it.  I did not mention my source earlier, as to not cut into Jeff's sales - but since he is also curious about it - I will say it worked great - I coated with Spar varnish as well -