Fitting a Nesting Spindrift in a Vehicle

Don Silsbe

I would like to build a 10N, and carry it inside my Chrysler Town & Country.  The cargo area is sized to carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood, so I know that it might fit.  On the B&B Yachts website, there's a photo of a nested Spindrift inside some sort of passenger car (in Taiwan).  Does anyone do this?  If so, please share the details.  

The cargo area is sized to carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood, so I know that it might fit. 

All this means is that you still don't know. 

If you look at the B&B site you will find this page:       http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/spin.htm

Find the beam and nested height for the boat in question and compare the the storage area of your car, and in particular the opening you will have to load the boat through.

I've studied that chart. I've also studied the photo of the 10N in that car in Taiwan (same web page, but down a little further). They have the hull tilted a bit. That gives one several more inches. I wonder if anyone on this forum has hands-on experience with this matter.

• 4 weeks later...

post-3770-0-21967100-1407706003_thumb.jpgAlright, boys and girls, I am here to say that I've answered my own question.  I think.  Here's what I did:  I got the dimensions of the temporary frame from  a friend.  I laid it out on a piece of foamcore.  I added 6mm for the hull thickness, and a 1/2' X 1" gunwale.  I cut out two of them, and taped them 16" apart.  This gave me a 16" long "box" the size of a Spindrift 11's widest section.  Bottom line is that it fits.  To clear the narrowest point in the rear quarter, I will need to raise the keel approx. 1/2" up off the floor of the car.  But this tells me that it will fit.  Now my question is if I am OK with a 1/2" X 1" gunwale.  Comments?

post-3770-0-52478700-1407706006_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-95825700-1407706009_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-69238600-1407706014_thumb.jpg

I have been hauling my 10n in the back of my Tundra pickup. I am about to give up on that plan and find a good used jet ski trailer and try using that instead.

Keep in mind, each half will weigh close to 40 pounds plus, and when nested, twice that. You will have to nest them, then wrestle them inside. If operating alone, you will have to do all that yourself. Plus it is not just the boat. If you intend to sail, it will also be the spars (mast sections and boom), plus the daggerboard, plus the rudder. You may also want to have along a set of oars. You will have to find room for all that, plus the boat.

If I were to build this boat again, and I might, I'd opt for the one piece vs. nesting version. There are advantages to both, but for my use, it appears to me the advantages of the one piece outweigh the benefits of being able to nest the two halves.

If I were to build this boat again, and I might, I'd opt for the one piece vs. nesting version. There are advantages to both, but for my use, it appears to me the advantages of the one piece outweigh the benefits of being able to nest the two halves.

I think I would do the same, especially if I were to use it for day sailing and not just as a tender.

I had a 2008 Grand Caravan and I couldn't fit my 11N in it. I bought a galvanized jet ski trailer for 250 bucks (wait until fall) and then built a rack on top to hold my flipped 11N, while a Sunfish sits on the jet ski bunks. It can also hold four canoes or kayaks for different trips. It makes life so much easier. If I knew this ahead of time, I might have built the 11 instead of the 11N.

Take Care,

Steve

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, everyone. I think I'm going to go with the non-nesting version, and put it on a trailer.  I was hoping to be able to take all my toys along, when pulling the pop-up camper.  I guess you really "can't take it with you" afterall!