Mostly complete Core Sound 15 for sale cheap

PaulSmith

Hi All

My father (now 85) has been building small boats all his life.  He's decided he's done with that hobby about 7/8 of the way through building a Core Sound 15.  He has the hull complete except for the exterior seam taping, sealing the exterior hull and painting.  The centerboard, rudder, tiller, masts and sprits are also done or very close to done.  Nothing is painted but the interior, rudder and centerboard are all epoxy sealed.  This is his fourth stitch and glue boat - so he's well experienced with this method.  He's been building small wooden boats most of his life.

He wants to find someone who will finish this boat and use it - he biggest fear is having to haul it to the dump and throw all those hours of work away.  He's not after money (though he certainly would take an offer that cover some of his $1500+ of materials) - he's after someone who wants to have a Core Sound 15 and is capable of finishing it well.

I'd offer to finish it for him but I just spent most of a year refinishing an Aquarius 23 and I want to sail - not build boats for a while.  I also have a Snipe & an 18' sailboat I built previously so I really don't need another one.  If I can't find someone to take it I will finish it - but only as a last resort.

The boat is in the Everett, WA area.  It does not have sails yet, nor a trailer or motor. 

Thanks! 

Paul

post-4241-0-22149400-1404107270_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-87881000-1404107429_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-42722200-1404107430_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-99270600-1404107430_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-53545400-1404107431_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-13732300-1404107432_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-87401600-1404107432_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-55306400-1404107433_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-17269900-1404107434_thumb.jpg

post-4241-0-79669500-1404107434_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Consider putting it on a utility trailer and bringing it up to the pocket yacht palooza in Port Townsend July 19.    It may be the only boat show I know that would welcome an incomplete project. There were 75 small boats on display last year and the crowd is full of individuals that would be tempted to take her home.   I'm in Seattle too. Will have my CS17 at the Palooza.  Send me a message if you'd like to more details. 

Great idea - thanks a million.  I'm going to push him to help me finish up the seam tape & maybe at least one coat of epoxy on the outside hull before hauling it over there.  I have a trailer for another boat (the Snipe) I can use to haul it.  I found the website so I think I know what I need to know.  I'll e-mail the organizer once I confirm with him.  It looks like from the pictures that they put like boats together - do you know how that is arranged?  Would it be possible to put my Dad's CS15 near to your CS17?

Hi Paul,

I'm sure that your project boat will be welcome at the palooza, and may very well find a new home. Drop Marty a line and he'll fix you up -- Norseboater22@gmail.com

You might consider bringing everything that goes with the boat with you, in case the buyer lives nearby and you can deliver it all and take the trailer home to your Snipe (I'm kinda tempted myself...)

cheers,

Lynn

"Lynn -are you thinking of converting it into a Belhaven 15?

Randy"

Ha ha, that's right, I'll just cover the whole boat, stem to stern, with a two foot high cabin -- what could go wrong?

See ya at the Palooza,

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, particularly Randy & Lynn - Thanks for the help & suggestions.  In order to transport the boat safely to Port Townsend my father & I sealed and seam taped the outer hull over the past week.  He had so much fun helping me do that that he & I have decided to finish the boat together.  He may still not have the balance to sail it as he dreamed but we will get the boat done!   Then it may be for sale again but we'll have to see what happens next.