SOLVED: file too big

Hirilonde

At least a couple of us are getting the message "file too big"  when trying to post photos.  The pictures are the same size and from the same camera as many others that posted just fine in the past.  Outside hosted pictures work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on what version of Windows you're running, you can get file dimensions by right clicking when the file is highlighted (select file properties) or just hovering over the highlighted file. 2000 pixels is about the average size of a computer screen, so it's not so big it overflows the screen. When you upload a file, the "handler" should tell you how big the file is too. 2mg is the file size limit (band width I'll assume). Maybe try the "basic uploader" feature in the "advanced reply options" screen and see if this helps.

I tried the basic advanced uploader but had the same problem. Don't know what "Flash 9" is. I don't see anything about a "basic uploader" when I click on the advanced uploader option. Under "file properties" I see 6.65 MB and 4608 x 3456 pixels. i don't see anything about "mg", or "handler". I have Windows 7. I'm sure feeling ignorant! :blink:

I have been using the same camera,  computer and operating system (Windows 8)  for quite a while and haven't had any issues until recently.  When I host pictures from this same camera, computer and OS  through Photobucket it works fine.

Looks like the PHP file limit was reset to the default of 2MB when we restored the server. I've increased it to 20MB. Its rebuilding now, but will take an hour or so (so don't test it before 10:45 Pacific time).

The forum settiings were the same, no post can have more than 16 MB in total file size including images. That should be plenty!

Well, now it looks like it wants to go, but it says it's uploaded, but the picture doesn't appear, then a message comes on "the following files have become unresponsive..." and everything is frozen. This is with the advanced uploader. Doesn't do anything on basic. What is "flash 9" in the advanced?

Not sure what others are using for camera settings, but I have always used the lowest, or next to lowest setting the camera offers. The attached photo is the 2nd lowest and is 400 kb or .4 mb. For computer screens, even the lowest settings offer more than enough resolution, and the photos do not hog up a great deal of storage space. I can do 10 or more of these in the same space the highest resolution would give me and I can't tell the difference. It also helps Frank out as these photos hog space on his servers.

In my opinion, almost none of us really needs the high resolution the modern cameras are capable of. You have to get into printing out the full page or larger photo quality stuff before it starts to show up and matter. I recently had to have a portrait done and the photographer told me the images (about 5 mb each) would print out with photo quality at almost 3 feet. We don't need a fraction of that to post and view images online.

Chick:

Photobucket and Flickr are free photo hosting sites. You load your photos there, which can be linked to. Copy the link (url) and paste it in your message.

IMAG0156.jpg

Frank's site then "pulls" and displays the image in your post (in the middle.....as displayed above, not at the bottom.....as shown below), but it is not stored on Frank's server. This makes for a nicer post, but is an extra step or two for the users. But it really does help Frank as the memory hogging photo files are stored elsewhere.

post-303-0-69826000-1404124158_thumb.jpg

Using lower camera settings can be a two edged sword though.

I lost the chance to do an article for Good Old Boat on the rebuild of Tehani, because my images weren't hi- res enough for print  publication..

I now shoot and store in hi res, and reduce image size and resolution for posting on web sites. Most often at 800 x 460, and under 100k. Simple enough to do. I use a free program called "Paint" at Paint.net