Sail design... CS 20

on my boat the snotter position is fixed. The sail just lowers down the mast, and the end of the sprit is connected into the reef clew grommet, instead of the normal clew grommet. Then the foot is rolled and tied. You just wind up with a smaller sail but the sprit doesn't move. The sprit DOES need to be slacked because the sail is shorter when reefed, so the end of the sprit is further out in front of the mast.

I reef just like Charlie does, the only change in snotter position I do is when I lower the mizzen to just above the thwart to lower the center of effort and reduce heeling. I use a 5/8 stainless steel sail track and run it down to just above the thwart on the mizzen and just above the deck on the main. I ordered it from my local handy West Marine store.

Pat