CS20 104 Mast Taper

Im back and in the saddle on this mind blowing project.  After two man years of building (five calendar years, started in June 1999 with first cuts and hull foldup and glassing up the seams). 

I got my hardware this last Friday, boy am I excited.  I am working on finishing the masts.  They will be 19' 10" for the mizzen and 20' 6" for the main.  They are birds mouth of Douglas fir and are right about 3 1/4 inches in diameter.  I and sanding and tapering the ends down but I an not sure how much I have to taper.  On the base they will be sanded down to a bit under 3" so I can fiberglass the bottom three feet for a bit more strength.  I intend to taper the tops down to just under 3" for the top 6 feet.  I know this is not the right taper per the plans because in my hast I made the staves the same from bottom to top and ended up with two 22 foot wooden pipes.  I power planed them down to get the edges off and reduce the octagonal nature of the masts.  I then hand planed to rough 3 3/8ths diameter, not perfect but really close. 

I made sanders out of 4 inch PVC pipe, cut to 18 inch lengths and then cut in half length wise.  So I ended up with 4 18" half pipe sanders, put two screen door handles on their backs and then sprayed rubber cement on the inside curve.  Once the glue was just tacky I put soft neoprene in different thicknesses to vary the inside diameter from 3 1/2" to 3".  These have worked really well and the turkey wings on my arms are almost gone from all the hand sanding.  The masts look great but I am worried that I may need to taper even more.

Should I taper more than the top 6 feet?  the largest diameter in 3 1/4" starting above the base three feet and up to the last six feet where I am tapering them down to just under 3" for the last 3 feet. 

The Douglas fir I am using is completely knot and pitch free, very tight rings (24 to 40 rings per inch).

Any Input will be greatly appreciated.  I am hoping for my sail tracks this next week from Carla and I am researching all the pictures from you folks for the correct placement of hardware on the deck.  I am really encouraged that we will launch right on my 60th birthday.  What a present that will be for my wife Karen and I.  I am afraid if I don't get it launched, Karen will put it in the large swimming pool in the back yard and hold a Viking Funeral with me as the main guest.

Thanks All

Jim