Folding tandem

Jknight611

Hi all, new to forum and need some advice. Several years ago I built a Victoria Patagonia "type" kayak from the Yost site. It was originally covered with the PVC fabric SS shown in the original plan/website. This stuff consumed many hours pulling and tugging to get it to lay out without wrinkles. Still looked like Charlie Chaplin's Lil Tramp character! Just wondering in the 11 oz Dacron would be a good option. Many years ago I worked as a A&P aircraft mechanic and did my share of aircraft recover work with Dacron. I am confident that I can get it to pull tight and look good, but wonder if the coating materials would stand the skin being folded?

I hope I am attaching a picture of the framework so you all can see. The boat is very handy for us to have a stack of material that becomes a 18 foot kayak.

Your thoughts?

Jay

South Mississippi

post-3962-0-03632800-1398477634_thumb.jpg

Well, thanks for the info. I was hoping that it would flex enough. The PVC material just doesn't look good, and it doesn't seem to be that robust. It "bruises" over the stringers and seeps. I looked at Hyplon but the boat would weigh probably 100 lbs then!

Search continues....

Jay

The issue with Jeff's material is that you have to paint it (or use some other coating).  This isn't a problem for a boat like SoF where the skin stays stretched.  You will want to fold the skin when you take the boat apart.  I can't see that working at all.