Blogspot

Howard

I guess it depends on what your reasons are.  It will be your creativity, time and effort that decide how well you do it.  How many care enough to read or go through all the pictures is in part a demand that already exists modified by how interesting it it to sift through what you present.  I personally don't care for blogs or web sites that document builds.  I like this forum because it breaks boatbuilding down to small pieces.  Some of which interest me and I take part in discussing.  Others that I quickly scan over and ignore.  If you are simply documenting your build it does not even need to go on line.  If you are trying to reach the most people I can offer no advice except that there are people like me who won't find it no matter what you do.  I like pictures and discussions, but that is me.

Setting up a blog is a convenient way to keep a diary that you can load with more pictures than you would care to post in a forum. Can be as simple or as complex as you care to do it with the choices of templates.

Toyed with Blogspot for my Belhaven build: http://belhaven30.blogspot.com/ but it does take some effort to keep it updated, taking up some of the precious build time. :) Sometimes though maintaining the blog can give you that small kick in the butt to keep you going when construction fatigue and enervation creeps in especially when doing a big project.

A big part of my reasoning is to document the build and leave a trail of breadcrumbs for others to follow. I only know of one completed P26 (highly modified), with a few others under construction. Typically, on forum threads you see some progress pictures in these builds and notes now and then, but there will be issues that have to be figured out and discussed. Things the plans are silent on. How does one actually cast a 700 pound lead keel? That sort of thing. The other danger is that threads tend to get hijacked and drug off into the weeds. They get long, convoluted and hard to follow and find what a person is looking for and working on.

I think Rolando's blog is the type of thing I was intending. However, one of the curious or awkward features I don't care for is the start/stop reverse nature of the postings. When you log on to these blogs, you see the latest post first. If you read to the bottom of that, you then find the previous post. So it seems to be a continuous process of jumping forward and falling back. The alternative would be to start at the end, and work backwards.

Is it possible to reverse the order and have the original posts appear first........with the others to follow in chronological order with the latest post appearing last? This seems to be the way the forums are run and it seems so much easier to follow that way.

If I was to build a website, it would be of the type that Tim Lackey is noted for. One example is found here:

http://www.triton381.com/

The problem with duplicating that is he uses a fairly sophisticated (read complicated) website development program. I don't want to have to learn anything about web design. I have found an easy to use and intuitive design program (Sandvox), but not sure if it is robust enough to do what I would like to do.

It was once discussed, if not more than once in the Classic Plastic Forum when Tim was running it about documenting projects and techniques.  It was decided, and I think quite prudently that nothing that would be documented was sufficiently proper, correct or even best that it was worth casting in stone.  A forum is alive.  It responds to anyone who asks at the time they are asking.  What you or I, or anyone for that matter might do in building a boat can not be considered necessarily worthy of following by anyone else.  Discussions about techniques, at the time someone needs to hear them are at least food for thought.  I am more than happy to participate in such discussions knowing that my opinions, advice, etc. are merely options for consideration.  I would not pretend to document an entire build and expect anyone to care what I did.  If it is important to you Howard, for what ever reason, then you could do it in a word processing program and include pictures and diagrams.  This could be placed on line in PDF format for anyone who might care to read it.  You would not need to learn any new soft ware.  Tim documented his stuff as a way to inform potential customers of his work.  He took part in his forum as an advisor to those doing their own work.  I get the impression that he burnt out and realized he was giving away his knowledge for free at about the same time.