Just Checking In

Joel

Hi Joel,

I have not been visiting here much lately either. Today I had a few moments to check in and look around. This has been an excellent place to meet other boat builders and share needs and ideas and help. I have made some friends here as well and that is good. I feel remiss for not visiting more often lately.

Greg.

Greg- water had entered the mast head due to a clevis pin scoring the wood. Ran down and stood along bottom of main halyard sheave box. Rotted a small bit, but enough. Laura took her out sailing one day, hoisted the jib, sheeted in and the mast head came off. Fortunately the shroud jammed into the broken top and held the mast up. I bought the boat back from her and repaired. Launched her again in October, better than new :P

Hey- the mast is 52 years old :rolleyes:

A few pics

post-31-0-43889100-1393465861_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-50746400-1393465935_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-24232800-1393465989_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-57069700-1393466197_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-76138700-1393466222_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had no idea she was that old, nor that Laura had ownership. I thought you did because of that trip back from the East Coast to Matagorda Bay sailing solo. I am glad you have Tehani back. Is she down at the same marina as when I saw her?

How is Laura doing? I have not seen any of her art posted in a while but enjoy the pictures and the gourd we have here.

Greg- I haven't spoken to Laura in months. She is living down by Corpus and last I heard was selling her paintings in Corpus. Apparently doing well.

And yes, Tehani is in the marina in Port Lavaca.

Picture taken just after relaunch,, down  in Port Aransas on way back home

post-31-0-07380400-1393512791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if I qualify as an old timer to you Joel, but since the topic is "just checking in"...  I've swapped hemispheres (doubly so, from the Northern to the Southern and the Western to the Eastern) and I'm enjoying life on the shores of the Indian Ocean with my lovely Bride.  We've got a locally designed and built 6 meter (20 foot) frozen-snot keelboat called a Red Witch that sails quite nicely but is a serious pain at the ramp.  I'm currently looking for my next project (possibly a powerboat) while I fail to work on the current project (Ken Bassett's "Liz") because I'm too busy painting our cave-like new house and (more importantly) because I'm a lazy something-or-other.

Charlie, I'm sorry to hear that you and Laura have parted ways although I hope there is as much good as bad in that decision.  Tehani still looks as pretty as she did when I fought off the urge to steal her at one of the B&B Messabouts.  I probably should have gone ahead and sailed her around some and put her back where I found her - Nobody would have been the wiser if I'd done it at midnight :)

• Like 1

Charlie, I'm sorry to hear that you and Laura have parted ways although I hope there is as much good as bad in that decision.  Tehani still looks as pretty as she did when I fought off the urge to steal her at one of the B&B Messabouts.  I probably should have gone ahead and sailed her around some and put her back where I found her - Nobody would have been the wiser if I'd done it at midnight :)

Hi Ken. I remember you well. Down under now eh? Graham knows about that :D

It's been part good, part bad. Came as an unexpected shock after 20 years together. But life goes on.

And she was pretty well put to bed while we were gone-MIGHT have been tough to sail her then :rolleyes: She had some battle scars after some 8000 miles of cruising, but is pretty much back in shape now.

Hi all. I'm not an old timer nor even a regular sailer, but one day I will. I have Graham's Princess plans as part of a dream. Ken, welcome to the remote west. I grew up here and have known little else. Hope you find good sailing here. Look forward to seeing what project you choose.

• Like 1

LOL- not on a regular basis no. I've done some rework on a few larger  boats. Rebuilt the interior woodwork on a Tartan 37 last year at the marina- they brought it for a month. Redid the brightwork and some new noon-skid on a Vanguard 32 also at the marina- he left it a month. Also a few odd jobs here and there that interest me. One or two small furniture repair/refinish jobs, mostly for friends,

Oh, and built another MiniPaw- written up in Duckworks in 5 parts- here's part 1-

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/13/projects/dinghy2/index1.htm#.UxYy1s7vgbt

Did a six weeks long trailer trip to Florida with the 21 footer before I sold her. Sailed in four different places. Gearing up to do the Tex 200 in June- gotta get Traveler ( the 18 foot tri) ready for that

Maintaining house, and yard, and sailing as I can

Mostly though, just being retired :P :P Seems to be very time consuming!!

What are you up to these days- gonna be in Texas again sometime?

• Like 1

I am still working at the KitchenAid Portable Appliance Lab, and trying to get my small wood working business to make a profit. I hope to make some money while retired. Orders have been scarce as hens teeth lately and I am looking at shifting products....exploring it anyway and doing some market testing. Oh, I got into Ham Radio late last year and have been spending time playing with that. Our two youngest, who you met, will finish high school this year. I keep dreaming of trips to Texas but the pocket book and the vacation schedules and school schedules are daunting.  Still, I dream.  :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,I was just updating my passwords and realized I have not been on this forum for quite a while.Just thought I'd drop in to see if any of the "oldtimers" were still around. Barry? Frank?Joel (weekender Island Girl)

Yep, still here of course, but haven't been on the water in years now. Life has conspired to interfere with the things I love far too much the last few years!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, again. Been a while. Did the Texas 200 again last year. Planning to skip it this year and sail Tehani over to Florida for the BEER cruise. Hoping to stay out 3 -4 months or so.

Had another birthday on Sat-  turned 74!!!! I can't believe it, until I look in a mirror. :unsure:

Did another interior rebuild on a Vanguard 32. Owners were extremely pleased. Other wise, just plugging along.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Wow. Mine was the last entry?  Last sunday I returned from a 3 month trip to Florida (For the BEER Cruise) and return aboard Tehani -  1560 miles this trip, which brings Tehani's CRUISING miles,not counting sails around Matagorda Bay, to 11,500 miles since her rebuild and relaunch.

Photo at Sailboat Cove, Big Lagoon, Florida

post-31-0-56750700-1438531156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1