Stone fly progress

bobsim

Hello Folks,

I've been taking my time with this, figure it's time to post some pictures. The shop got real small and there's not much room to get back and make a good photo. This will have to do until I can get her off the workbench (strong back.)

http://s204.photobucket.com/user/bobdsimmons/library/Stonefly%20Canoe?sort=3&page=1

Going to work on the bow and stern this evening.

First experience with cypress and I like it. The 'pecks' were a surprise but I'm starting to warm up to  'em. 

I noticed there's an 11 oz polyester fabric in Jeff's store, any one used it? I'm leaning that way but just a little reserved about the difficulty factor, going to be my first time sewing anything, ever.

Thanks for any input...

Bob.

Thanks Fellas,

I was able to get the stern on last night and the chines cut in. Very impressed with how the stringers are fitting into the frames and forming lines. So far just hand pressure and clamps, the books mentioned tapping with a wood mallet and watching the frames for stress but I haven't come across anything yet that didn't co-operate. Very impressed Jeff! 

The cypress is a joy to work with. I would say it's a little more dense than WRC. It loves a block plane but tends to gum up sandpaper. There are some pieces that were 'greener' than others though all were cut from the same board. I believe these were closer to the heart. They didn't take the stain until I heated them and wiped with denatured alcohol. I used these for the keel and chines and making the cut at the stern with a Japanese pull saw took some time, the teeth would tend to clog up and bog down. My first thought was the wood was wet until I lit some shavings, they burned well and no smoke so my guess is it's pitch and not water. (?) I don't really know. I'm on the fence with the 'pecking' though, it seems to be random and tooling exposes it. Aesthetically it doesn't bother me too much ( I am going back to get some more wood for the gunnels that doesn't have it though) but structurally I worry a little about what may be hidden inside the wood. I gotta say this lumber yard is awesome, one of those places hidden in the old side of town with a dirt driveway and several outbuildings full of treasures. The last time I was there the owner had to run out and told me to dig around and find what I wanted until he got back. I was in heaven!

Deltabravo,

Thanks for the insight. One more question - the Stonefly is 14'9". Seems like five yards may be cutting it close. Will there be enough stretch to accommodate the whip or rolling stitch ( I forget the name of it) on the bow and stern?

Thanks again 

No, you probably will not have enough. You have to go around the outside of the boat and that is longer than the boats length. You should always order an extra foot of fabric or in this case 16'.  

One thing I have been doing is stapling the ends and using a brass strip over that to cover the staples and serve as a rub strip. I love the look and it is very durable too.

I have the brass strip and bronze screws in the shop. I REALLY need to get those listed in the store.