A boat for Alaska

CurNav

I am looking for the boat best suited for open ocean use (stability concerns), space for big feet (size 12)  with insulated rubber boots on them and long legs (6' 3" tall),  enough room for 2-3 day camping trips and tough enough for barnacles and beach rocks.  From everything that I have read I am leaning toward the VARDO.  I am an experienced kayaker but do appreciate the stability when the ocean gets rough.  My other concern is the boat being rudderless.  How will it do in contrary ocean, swell and current? 

If anyone has comments that might add insight I'd appreciate them.  Thanks,  Eric

I can't really answer any of your questions, but I do want to say that I don't see any reason a rudder couldn't be added to any of these kayaks.  I imagine running the cable controls would be similar to running the deck rigging.  Maybe one of these experienced guys could chime in about if there is a structural reason a rudder couldn't be added.  I was considering adding a rudder to mine if I have any energy left after the build.

A properly designed boat with a competent paddler doesn't need a rudder. To many paddlers depend on rudders instead of developing basic boat handling skill. When a rudder fails, they are then unable to properly handle the boat and can easily get themselves into  trouble. I am not a fan of rudders and I design my boats not to need one. They just add unneeded complications.

As for size, VARDO is a good choice. You should find it very roomy and stable. It was designed with camping in mind.

As for barnacles and beach rocks, I live in freshwater and can't speak for how well it will fair against them but it always better to avoid them because there is always a risk of cutting the skin. However abrasion is a skin boats worst enemy. Constantly beaching an unprotected bow can quickly rub a hole in the boat. Rub strip on the bow is almost a necessity and it makes it much safer to beach your boat bow first. I have started using a brass rub strip on mine. I have to get it  listed in the store.

Now the biggie. As I said, I live on fresh water and rarely get to the beach, so I can't speak to how well this boat will do in big seas. Even though I live on a big river system with fairly open water what we get is what you call a chop. Anything past 2' high takes a really strong wind here. Enough you're not going to be out in it. I know some of my boats have been used on open water and I expect it would do just fine, but I want to make it clear that I can't say how it will do.

I am looking for the boat best suited for open ocean use (stability concerns)......................

I am surprised Jeff did not address this in his reply.  Stability in the ocean does not come from the design.  As a matter of fact, the most "stable" hard chine boats are the most difficult to balance in a sea.  Stability in a sea comes from you and your skills handling the boat.  Until you can confidently proclaim some skill in this aspect of paddling you are your own worst enemy.  Kayaks do not compensate for the inexperienced.  A good kayak allows the skillful to perform.

I've seen a lot of references to the need for rub strips to protect the bow when beaching. It's looking like a lot of people - maybe most people - are resting the bow on the beach or boat ramp as they launch or land their boats. I prefer a different approach. Paddle the boat into shallow water parallel to the beach, hold your paddle perpendicular to the boat immediately behind the cockpit, and exit into shallow water.

When the bow is supported on the beach the center of buoyancy shifts aft - away from the widest part of the boat; it becomes less stable. With the boat fully afloat, parallel to the beach you still have the normal stability, you can be closer to the beach than if you beached the bow, and you don't scrape the bow. If there are any significant waves, get out of the boat on the side away from the beach; high waves can push the boat into you and knock you down - learned that one the hard way!

There are lots of good reasons for bow and stern rub strips, but I think you'll find that beaching the bow to enter and exit is not one of them.

I always pull into the beach/shore parallel as you describe DURRETTD.  But I still like the protection, especially on the bow.

They're especially helpful if the boat gets dropped. I destroyed an almost-new air conditioner when a SOF fell off the top tier of my rack. No damage to the boat. Let's not go into what caused the boat to fall.

Gotta get more kayak storage space! I need a 15 footer! Can't get by with just a 9-foot, a 12-foot, a 14-foot, a 17-foot, and a 17.5-foot boat. Stop smiling, Jeff! It's your fault!

• Like 1