which paint?

holmsy2000

Time to coat my canoe on wednesday so I went shopping for paint today, it turns out to be harder than I expected. Apparently you can't get oil based exterior paint anymore.

What paint do you guys think i should go for, oil based interior paint, or water based exterior paint?

Im using the recycled polyester from kudzu craft.

Brett

Apparently you can't get oil based exterior paint anymore.

Yes you can, though in some areas it is harder than others.  Rustoleum is available in a lot of hardware stores.  Try specialty paint stores, the ones the painting contractors go to.  If big box stores are your primary source for materials you will almost assuredly be disappointed.  And if you ask there, you will get info from the most uninformed people to serve you in the industry.  And if all that fails you can order quarts of oil based marine paints from Kirby Paints.

As Dave said, it's there but you have to look a little. Go to Paint Store like Sherwin Williams and you should be able to find it. Unless you California.

Rustoleum, if you can find a color you like, has a long track record and I really like it. Any oil based porch and deck enamel works well too. The big box stores here still have it and I suspect it will be around for a while.

Water based works but my experience is they are just not as tough as oil based. But eventually that is going to be what most of us have to use. GLOSS, (very important) exterior or they may call it porch and deck paint is the best. Any flat or semi-glass will seep water in with just 3 coats. So stick with the gloss.