Sport Boat

Chick Ludwig

I would call those knees gussets, but sounds like knee is the correct term.

Gussets are pieces that facilitate joining when the 2 pieces being joined do not have a sufficient means to be joined as they are.  The metal plate that holds trusses together is a gusset.

Yeah, but on a narrow, light weight  boat, I don't want anyone trying to sit toward the side anyway. No "kneed" to. I'll never have more than 3 us in there---well, maybe 4 if my grandson brings a friend, and there is room between the knees for them both.

Went looking to buy a new galvanized trailer yesterday. My dealer friend quoted a $1000.00!!!! Wow!!! Think I'll look for a used one. 

It's been a busy several days here in Hooterville. Rick and Minnie (ricknriver) came to visit for the Apple Festival. We had a great time talking boats and solving all of the world's problems. Then I had to finish some "honeydoo's" and such.  :rolleyes:

Finally back to Turtler. Hatches done, and floorboards cut. Shown here temporarily screwed in place. Note that the center section had to be cut down the center and then the joint was glassed to hold it's shape. "Why", you ask, don't I just screw down the separate sides instead of glassing them together? My profound reply---"I dunno"...

post-1823-0-79823500-1409777790_thumb.jpg  Funny little forward section. For folks with tiny feet.

post-1823-0-60879400-1409777797_thumb.jpg  Center, glassed together section.

post-1823-0-08341000-1409777802_thumb.jpg  The aft, much flatter section. This one actually makes sense.

Now for much sanding of details, and resin coating the entire inside of the boat, and hatches and floorboards. I think then another sanding, a couple coats of epoxy, then turn-r-over to finish the bottom, then flip-r-back to varnish inside. Whadaya think, y'all? (Y'all knew that I had to fit a "y'all" in here somewhere, didntcha?)

Here we have the keels finished and ready for the first coat of epoxy. Actually, the epoxy coat has just been finished now as I write this. Still trying to decide what kind of paint to use on the outside. I'm thinking of an enamel such as Rustoleum or a porch or floor paint. I want low cost, ease of application by brush/roller, and ease of touch up. (Turtler will be pushing through the weeds and over mud and rock.)

I didn't bore y'all with a picture of filling and fairing the taped seams---but I did that since the last time we got together, too.

All of the woodworking is done now. Nothing left but epoxy, sand, epoxy, sand, paint, sand, more paint. Then flip and sand, epoxy, sand, varnish, sand. more varnish, sand, did I mention that I have to sand the durn thing? Heck, time for a nap to think about it! 

post-1823-0-15357900-1410469655_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just checkin' in y'all. Been involved in paint issues (read that as problems) on Turtler. I think the paint is finally hard enough to turn her over to finish the interior. (Aren't turtles supposed tho have hard shells? Hey, she must be a softshell turtle.) I've got the first coat of epoxy sanded and will add another coat Monday. Hopefully, she will be done by the next weekend or so, depending on how long the subsequent coats of varnish take to dry.

I'll add a picture so you won't forget what she looks like.

post-1823-0-74552000-1411823750_thumb.jpg

Yes, the sister keels inside and out are to stiffen the bottom. I could have kept them totally on the inside, but the floor (sole) would have been higher, and if I made them full eighth, they wouldn't have taken the bend forward, so they would still have required two pieces. Also they provide some protection on the bottom. Also, also, they help trap some air to assist planing at lower speeds (maybe---I dunno). All of the ply including floorboards is 4mm. To those of us that are metrically challenged, that's kinda like 1/8th. inch. I could have used some transverse frames to shorten the span, but this seemed easier. Besides, I'm pig-headed! I wanna do what I wanna do.

Turtles are reptiles, not amphibians and don't require water to live. Well, that last part is not totally true, they need some moisture and some species of aquatic turtles can only eat in the water. But they will be fine long enough to get them to their new home in my pool.

Besides, that's only 2 (maybe 3) questions---not a lot. By the way, I REALLY enjoyed my visit with you guys today! Lunch too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Turtler is finally finished (More or less---always little projects to do. We did a shakedown on Lake Adger. I'll just post as many of the pictures of our outing as i can and write about the trip a bit later in the "Boating and Cruising Stories" section.

post-1823-0-36901400-1413585678_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-70319000-1413585679_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-23594000-1413585681_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-82487400-1413585682_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-45218300-1413585684_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-83718200-1413585685_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-42051900-1413585687_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-96250700-1413585688_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-45750900-1413585690_thumb.jpg post-1823-0-03544300-1413585692_thumb.jpg

Hi Chic

You guys have some beautiful country over there, makes me a little jealous. Looks like you did a fine job on your little boat, congratulations.

I am at present building the OB-20 and I have a question for you Chic, correct me if I am wrong, but you built the green OB? My question is when you came to installing the deadwood/keel onto the hull, what is the best way to go about this? Do I glass the hull first and then attach the deadwood/keel or did you attach it first and then glass over it?? I was going to install a full length keelband on top of it, what are your thoughts?

Trev

Keen..., I used to attach it first, but Graham suggested glassing the hull first and then attaching the keel. This way you are sure to have a barrior protecting the plywood in the hull and having a good structural joint. In case the keel/deadwood is damaged, the hull will still be sound. I believe he also suggested not then glassing over the keel,but yoy'd better ask him about that. The keel would be considered somewhat "sacrificial" in this case.

On my OB-20, I attached the keel first and glassed over it, and sure enough, got some damage. It was a bit messy getting a repair.On my CS-20 Mk-2, I glassed first and attached after. That is the way I will always do it now.

Guess this was a bit long-winded, and only my opinion anyway. I'm sure that some of the other guys will further expound on it.

• Like 1