Sport Boat

Chick Ludwig

Rick, so far we should be around on the 29-30. We may go camping one weekend, but even if we do on that weekend, we would be home on the 29th. Who is buying the BH-19? Maybe we could sail together when I finish my CS-17.

Lennie, the notch is to accommodate the shaft length (propeller depth) of the gas engines that I plan to use. I have a 2.4 Suzuki and will also have a 5-6 hp "something" for when i want to run at planing speeds. Sometimes I'll be running an electric which wouldn't need the transom to be lowered. Which one I use depends on where I'll be going. "Turtler" will be a multi-purpose boat. Sometimes to car-top when we go camping with our pop-up camper at small lakes that don't allow gas engines, sometimes to go cruising on large lakes, sometimes to actually go turtle hunting. Some times I will even row! Who knows? Hmmm' I wonder what kind of sailing rig.....

Ken, NO-NO-NO, the flotation is outboard in the seats---even i know not to place it on the centerline!!!! Turtler doesn't WANT to turn turtle!!!!! _It would be kinda fun to roll around in the water like "log-rolling".

The only parts of the boat that Graham supplied are the hull panels. He did the design on his computer, but didn't provide any other parts or instructions. I'm making everything else up as I go along. That's what we had planned on doing from the start. I can never "leave anything alone" on designs anyway. I like it that way, and Graham knows that I won't mess anything up "beyond repair". We've done several boats together this way.

If you want one of these, ya better let someone know so I can make sketches/patterns for Graham to actually work up a kit or full set of plans. So far I haven't done that. By-the-way, the hull panels folded together just like they were supposed to. I LOVE that CNC machine!

Well, guess I'd better do my morning chores, go to PT, and then get back to work on Turtler. See y'all soon.

Thought I'd catch y'all up a bit. The seat faces are all in, and flotation boxes in the aft and center seat are ready for foam. Instead of foam in the front seat, there is a special box way up in the "pointy end". Breast hook and quarter knees are installed, ready for the inwales.

post-1823-0-18677300-1408052488_thumb.jpg Front and center seat

post-1823-0-88374800-1408052491_thumb.jpg Pointy end

post-1823-0-22057000-1408052490_thumb.jpg Aft seat

Well, it's time to catch up with y'all again. The pictures will show the inwales installed. (Never mind the holes---they're gonna get plugs in them.) The framing for the hatch openings are done in the center and aft seats. In case you're wondering about the PVC tube running along a stringer on the stbd. bottom, that's the wiring chase for the battery cables to the trolling motor. You may remember that the batteries will be in the center seat.

That's about it for now. See ya in another few days.Happy boating 'til then.

post-1823-0-25736200-1408649632_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-81420800-1408649633_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-21258500-1408649635_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-88021600-1408649636_thumb.jpg

As I'm continuing work on Turtler, I'm contemplating where to get oars. And what length I'll need. (Any suggestions, y'all.) Does Graham (Mr. Designer on these posts.) have a drawing of how he would make an oar? Although she is designed to be light enough to car-top when pulling a camper, I'll be using a trailer the rest of the time. Now I gotta try to find a "friendly" dealer to order one from. "Friendly" translates to "One willing to give a good deal." There are two outboard dealers in Hooterville, but I don't know if either sells trailers. Guess I'd better call and see, huh.

Graham does have an oar design, and a couple other websites add perspective on building oars and they actually look pretty simple. I plan to read thru all the detail out there but then use Graham's design. Check for free oar plans at Duckworks as well as same at bateau (sp).

your boat looks good

Here's the latest. Ready now to make hatches and floorboards. Then, "flipperover" and glass corners, add keels, and paint. looks like my table saw motor is burning out...always something!!!

post-1823-0-33590100-1409242072_thumb.jpg  Foam flotation stuffed in foam boxes.

post-1823-0-93692500-1409242073_thumb.jpg  "ditto"

post-1823-0-39057700-1409242075_thumb.jpg   Seat tops are on now. Note the blocks to raise the oars closer to correct rowing height. I'afraid that they are still too low.                                                                    Also see the seat knees---not sure what to call them---seat hanging knees maybe? They are to stiffen up the side to take                                                                the load of rowing. sides were flexing.

post-1823-0-93779300-1409242076_thumb.jpg  Motor board on the back of the transom to stiffen it and make it thicker.

Now, how in the world do I get all of the printing (Also see the seat knees---not sure what to call them---seat hanging knees maybe? They are to stiffen up the side to take the load of rowing. sides were flexing.) next to the picture where it outa be???!!! So aggravating!

Chick-

your boat is looking good! I am also a bit confused about knees, gussets and similar triangular like shapes that go somewhere,  and will be diving into that topic tomorrow (and I have a kit and plans :))  I do wonder if yours are not misplaced however. I am thinking they are less for seat support and more for deck support. I am thinking yours should have been rotated 45degrees and placed up the deck so the long side is against the side of the hull and the short side is supporting the deck.

Lennie, that's why I don't know what to correctly call them. They are not intended to support the seat, but gunnel (deck). I could twist gunnel and flex the side in way of the oarlocks before adding the knees. Now it is nice and solid. I shaped them to look like seat supports---hanging knees---whatever, 'cause i think they look good that-a-way. Heck, I make most of this stuff up as I go along anyway, y'all!

I think you should call them knees (instead of hanging knees) because they're there to support the side deck on the seat structure.  It seems like a hanging knee would be there to support the seat structure off the side deck.  Or wait, maybe they're partial bulkheads...  Okay, I dunno.

knee n. An angular reinforcing structure used when two members come together at an angle

So it means both the piece itself and the 2 components it connects are angled.  It would mean that one reinforces the other or the both reinforce each other.  It would seem most appropriate to use a term like "deck reinforcing knee" if naming your knees seems like a good idea.

FYI, I have never heard of a hanging knee nor is it a term in my book "Nautical Terms". 

Here it is. "Knee: A curved piece of wood or metal used to support and brace where 2 parts of a boat join together. There are many kinds of knees and they are named according to their use. A Quarter Knee attaches the transom to the sides of the boat. A Hanging Knee holds the roof of the cabin down to the rest of the boat. Often knees are used to stiffen the joint where a Thwart or Seat attaches to the side of the boat.

From: http://shipwrightintraining.wordpress.com/glossary-of-boatbuilding-terms/

I found some other descriptions that differed a little. But ours is not a hanging knee because the leg must hang down. Awww, who cares!

Something tells me "knee" is the appropriate term for that, the origin of the term being where they come from. I believe the originals, as depicted in Chick's photo, were harvested from the base of a tree trunk, where it makes a near 90 degree transition from the tree trunk into the root. Some of these are more prominent than others. Around these parts, black locust displays a prominent and easy to get at knee. Something you could easily harvest, and would last forever if you did.