Nimrod * Free plans

Kudzu

Who likes free kayak plans? As a little Christmas gift I have designed a new kayak I named Nimrod. It is a very Greenland looking boat that looks a lot like Shad but it has a higher volume. You can download offsets from the Kudzu Craft store free, no catches. I do hope you will buy your supplies from me of course!  :)

Merry Christmas and thank you for the best year yet!

1238093_10152110803853637_76344763_n.jpg1524939_10152110803623637_427386677_n.jp

• Like 1

325 lbs is about the Max displacement for this boat. That has is pretty deep in the water.  300 is probably a more practical displacement.

Stability Factor is 89. A little lower than a Curlew.

Tracking remains to be seen but since it shares a very similar shape to Shad I will surprised if it is not a very good tracking boat. More rocker should make it turn easier too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a minor story behind that. I had Nimrod on my list but eliminated it for something else. I had everything done using another name and was ready to release it the next day. I kept hearing the name Nimrod over and over that day. It came up several times and in a positive way, not the negative we usually think of.

Did a like research and found that the original meaning of Nimrod was a great hunter. Greenland boats were hunting boats. Since I don't believe in coincidence (most times) I delayed the realease of the plans and changed the name to Nimrod.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

Awesome plans, thank you! Just recieved both of your books this morning, and pretty much read the whole things today!

I scored some heavy 24" x 36" card stock paper yesterday for real cheap and lofted the Nimrod plans last night. I've never lofted plans before, but once I got the hang of X,Y,Z after the first station, it was really easy and fun. Decided to build the nimrod instead of Vardo, but dont worry, will be buying some materials from you. will be picking up the BB ply, stringer and strongback material on monday, cant wait to get started on it! I plan on taking lots of photos through the build and will start a thread on it once i get going (If it's ok to do that here) Also toying with a few ideas for homemade hatches front and rear for the nimrod.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

With some experimentation, I think you'd find you could figure out the basics of lofting the frames.  That being said, I would encourage you to make a purchase, Jeff's book "Building Fuselage Frame Boats" from his online store.  

The book has several different plans included (coordinates) and a full explanation of how to loft the coordinates into full size plans/templates.  Considering that he does this over many pages (and with great graphics), it would be difficulty to give a brief overview of the process in a forum based response.