Tools, Jigs and Tricks

Howard

Russel,

Yes you can use the sanding dust. The bag on the belt sander is a good source. You need to run it through a sieve first. There is nothing worse than trying to run a nice fillet and there is piece of grit or a thread from the belt dragging along under the tool messing it up.

Pure epoxy dust from a belt or orbital sander is usually pretty coarse, compared to wood flour, but you can use it. This makes for lumpy fillets and doesn't spread out too smoothly either, unless you use dust from only fine papers. Epoxy dust also tends to be pretty brittle, so in structural fillets it might crack, without some fibrous materials also in the mix (milled fibers, cotton flock, etc.). If looking for cheaper solutions to filler materials, look no further than your other half's pantry. Any good cook will have cooking flour, which is just like the wood flour we use, except instead of being pine or oak or something that once had leaves, it'll be made (the same way) from corn, wheat, rice, etc. It's a whole lot cheaper to steal a few cups from the other half's stash, than buy bags of it online. It has the same physical properties as the wooden versions and it'll spread out smooth and even too. While you're stealing stuff from HER kitchen, borrow the flour sifter and use it when you add it to the goo. This tip will save a bunch of heartache when mixing and spreading, trust me.

Now, a word of warning. Pilfering supplies and tools from the other half, can rain all sorts of hell on your butt. I've had to replace the stove, because she caught be drying some oak in it once and if I was to ever get a meal out of it again . . . The same is true of the blender, I was grinding up polyester chips in. In spite of my insistence they were inert and you could eat them with no harm, she was going to shove it in one of my non-speaking orifices, unless I agreed to her terms of surrender. Over the years, I've replaced most of the kitchen applicances as a result of these activities, so if you do plan a covert black op mission, into the kitchen area, wear camo, maybe something that matches the tile on the floor. Insure she's really sleeping or at work and not just waiting to catch your foolish butt, in an uncompromising position. Look guys, they're smarter than us, frankly. They know enough to not be boat builders, suggesting they're way smarter than us, so catching a would be flour thief, is just something they live for and you'll pay, I mean really pay. Good luck and erase this thread in your browser, so I don't get dragged into your inability, to out think your smarter other half.

• Like 1

Lol.  

1.  Got caught using the outlet from the stove to power the arc welder in the driveway.

2.  New doorknobs to replace the epoxy spattered ones. 

3.  New floors sanded and varnished due to epoxied sneakers one too many times. 

4.  Sewing machine refurbished to make sails. 

Working like mad to get the deck on before the snow flies here in the Northeast US.  Been told the garage is for cars.  Whodathunk?

The list goes on and on and on.  

Must be true love, or extreme patience.

Guys, just think ahead a little.  It's not as much of a no-win situation as you think.  On the surface we seem to only have the choice of:

1. Using the existing appliance and getting into trouble for contaminating it, or

2. Buying a new appliance and being seen as splurging on new "tools".

But there's also the option of buying a NEW appliance for household use and THEN reclaiming the old one for use in the shed (it's all about the sequence).  That's a win-win! "Now that you've got a new bread maker and I've recycled the old one for melting my hide glue it's about time I bought a belt sander..."

I don't have to worry about that, though, because I do half the cooking and my wife is always encouraging me to buy more tools for the shed...  Waitaminnit...  Is she trying to keep me from cooking?!? ;)  Aww, geez...

• Like 1

See, now that's the way you work it Ken. I've been extorting, I mean convincing my other half of the need for revamping or replacing her "tools" for years. You see, I'm not allowed in the kitchen and she has plenty of justification for this standing order, so clever manipulation and bribery are what I'm left too now. I cooked off some powder coated brackets, in her old stove the other day in fact, so it works, but you will have to pay. It's simply the cost of doing business. Lastly Ken, if she's encouraging you to acquire more tools, she's blatantly remarking about her feelings on your cooking abilities and rather keenly, limiting her exposure to said "cooking". I told you, they're way smarter than us - just accept it and move onto building a boat.

• Like 1