Now I have to build it!

Tgabe

On Wednesday, I received a large envelope in my mail mailbox.  “It must be the boat building book I ordered”, I thought to myself.  Then I saw that it was from B&B Yacht Design.  The strange thing is, I had not ordered anything from B&B.  I had been looking at boat designs for several years, thinking,”someday…” I had developed a short list of four possible designs to build.  My 16 year old son looked at them and we decided on the Core Sound 17. “I will order the plans when I get the workshop finished; probably next spring sometime”.  So to my surprise, I opened the envelope and there were the complete plans for the CS 17 along with the accompanying CD and a nice handwritten note from the designer.  I was both excited and confused.  I showed it to my son.  He confessed that he had contacted B&B and ordered the plans for me.  He doesn’t have a credit card, so he took his own cash, went to the post office and bought a money order and mailed it to B&B.  He doesn’t even know what a money order is, but he asked the B&B people how he could use cash to order plans and they told him what to do.  Wow! I was blown away. He said he thought I would just keep putting it off and he would help kick-start the build.  Now I have to build it, no excuses! It may be a while before I can start, but I will post progress.  I’m sure I will be needing help from all the experts out there.  CS 17 #375 will be built in Texas.

I can think of no greater life lesson then that of this project. In a life of instant gratification, with the web, phone apps and nearly everything else, learning to pace yourself and let epoxy cure and the other non-instant gratification aspects of this project, will be an eye opener and possibly more meaningful than you or he understands currently. The launch day reward will more than both of you can currently appreciate, I suspect. Enjoy . . .

Batman: Thanks for your concern for us in the Philippines. We are safe where I am but those in the typhoon's path are still undergoing unspeakable misery. Each of us is doing what we can to help and wish we could do more because the catastrophic effects of the storm are not going to go away soon. For the survivors in the coastal areas our home boatbuilders group is trying to come up with a design for a quick-to-build banca, an indigenous outrigger boat used for transport and livelihood fishing.

I hope you and your son will enjoy your build as much as I do mine.

Rolando

• 3 weeks later...