About this rowing thing

Brent

If I read the prints correctly, the oar locks are located so that rower can sit on the thwart. However that would require removing the missen to make way to sit. Just wondering how practical this works out in the real world. Pulling the mast seems like it could be enough trouble to make rowing a rare event.

The CS 20 seems to be on the large size for a rowing dory, I am wondering if people find rowing moves the boat well enough.

I've never rowed my CS 20, I didn't even put in oarlocks. I thought I could put them in later if/when I needed them. I don't think I will though, instead I keep a couple canoe paddles in the forward hatches on the port side opposite my Gordy Hill rod locker. I use them all the time really, beaching, tying up, getting under bridges, at crowded docks. She paddles really well, better than I thought, I suspect she would row well too. My next investment might be one of those Honda 2 Horse on a lightweight bracket from West Marine off the transom. It sure will be a real shame to mess up those fine lines.

Pat

My CS17 is laid out a little differently than most because I wanted a casting platform at seat height at the front of the boat. Therefore, the seat deck starts about the middle of the centerboard trunk. I set my oar locks accordingly and, like you mentioned, I can leave the mizzen alone and still row. I special-ordered 9 1/2 foot oars from West Marine and they fit nicely into 2 1/2 inch aluminum tubes set along side the centerboard trunk when stowed.

The boat rows beautifully! According to my GPS I can keep 2 1/2 knots quite easily. And, when I flail the lagoon to a froth looking like a fool, the GPS will register over four knots!

I don't imagine it would be too difficult to fashion a seat, maybe even a temporary one, about the middle of the centerboard trunk. Bear in mind, one sits with a leg on either side of the centerboard trunk. If the board is down, the horn of the board will be below, and in front of your navel. If the board should encounter the bottom, the horn will move forward very very quickly.

It is best to avoid this situation.

Once encountered, a reminder is unnecessary.

Guest Anonymous

Brent,

There is no problem if one rows:

A. with the board up, or

B. in deep water.

Since the centerboard trunk is off set, it might be quite easy to rig a small seat by widening the one side.