Want to see Spindrift 10 or 11 photos or, better yet, in person in Central Texas

boatguy249

I sailed a 12 recently and feel it is too much boat for me.  I'm interested in seeing first hand a 10 or 11.  I'm looking for an owner within driving distance of Austin whose boat I might view.  Alternately I'd like to see photos (including cockpit) of these boats.  I'm wanting to car top this as my garage is already filled with a trailer and boat.

Here's some pics of my 11 foot nesting version. Great little boat. Click on the pics for larger versions.

http://www.pbase.com/onceagain/expedition_dinghy

Also some cartopping help. My nesting version is heavier than most Spindrifts but still no trouble cartopping with this loading helper.

http://www.pbase.com/onceagain/cartopper

Also, a handy dinghy dolly.

http://www.pbase.com/onceagain/dolly

Posted Image

Thanks for the photos.  I have a truck rack with rollers but your idea also looks good.  With my arrangement I only lift half of the boat at a time, whereas with yours you lift the whole thing (or do you?).  With your arrangement are you lifting the full weight when you have it on the rack which you then lift up?

I have also made dollies for my Whisp and for my canoes.  I'll fully check out your dolly if needed.  Right now I'm thinking of doing a 10N, as the two pieces can be lifted separately and both will fit in the back of my pickup.

Steve

I made the mistake of not measuring my Dodge Grand Caravan's opening and comparing it to the plans. My 11N doesn't fit. It's not even close. Luckily, I have roof racks and its pretty easy with two to put up top. I'm pretty sure my build is under 100 pounds, hull only.

I think I have one more sail this year in it before it goes in the basement, nested together, stood in the corner, hardly taking any room while it waits for spring.

Take Care,

Steve

I've used home-built dollies for my boats, finding that one must be careful to secure the straps not just across the gunnels but also in a way that doesn't let the dolly shift aft while pulling the boat.  I also found that having the dolly near the center balance point makes the end you lift be much lighter.  The problem that arises if you go this route is how far over you have to bend to pick up the end and yet not too far lest the stern hit the ground.  Lifting with a line affixed to the bow eye helps some, and having a much higher dolly also works, if this can be easily arranged.

• 1 month later...

I got plans for the 10 nesting version along with 3 more sheets of plans so I can also build the non-nesting version.  As the non-nesting version has more floatation and I want the 2 part boat for ease of storage and transport (but not to nest) I'm thinking I'll build a 2 part non-nesting version.

Interesting idea.  I can see that it might be easier to store, like in a shed or garage as 2 pieces.  I don't see how that makes it any easier to transport though.

I built the nesting version. It is currently resting against the wall of my garage, stacked on end, the two pieces nested together. That is convenient. I have never transported it in two pieces, but would obviously be easy to do so. Assemble it at the launch ramp or bank, the two pieces being easier to load and unload than a single boat. Also, while I have never done it, I could haul the nested version in the back of my pickup, and tow my trailer sailor at the same time. If you have a larger boat, and enough deck space, nesting your tender on deck would certainly be convenient for long passages. With practice, it can be assembled easy enough on deck or on the water.......easier still if you have more than one person doing it. One thing you might think would happen is water coming in through the bolt holes. Three of them are at or below the waterline. That has never happened with mine.

Having said that, if I were to build another (which I might), I would opt for the one piece. I'd haul and store it on a small PWC trailer. Easier, and faster, to launch and retrieve. I now have a place I can store it, but if not, could store it outside, upside down. Trailer could also be modified to store and transport the mast and spars and oars. Actually, I'm looking for one of those now to haul my two piece.

Underway, I doubt there is much difference in the performance of the two......sailing, rowing or towing. However, on the two piece, by necessity, the center and rear seats have to be loose......they are not attached. They have to be hauled loose and in the event of a capsize while sailing, you would have to hunt them down if they come loose and float away. Also, after a capsize or big rain event, you have not one but two boats to bail out.....the front and rear sections. You could install Anderson bailers, but will need two of them and they are not cheap.

Those are the differences as I see it. Personal preference will factor into this a lot, which is they still make chocolate and vanilla.

Howard.....It took me so long to finally cut that center seat I made sure I wasn't going to lose it. I have a piece of elastic that holds it captive. Same with the rear seat. I capsized a canoe in the thousand islands years ago, and I can still remember watching my gear float away. I work hard to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Take Care,

Steve