Best ever CS 17 picture ever.

Jim Stumpf

Very nice... and that was kind of her to offer up some pictures. Once in a blue moon, I notice someone photographing our boat, and I always say to my wife, "I wish I could track that person down to ask if they'd send me a copy of the pictures!" I still don't have a single picture of my boat taken from the outside while I'm at the helm except for one my wife snapped on launch day in 2007.  :)

Your CS17 looks a lot like our CS20. Here's a recent pic from a few weeks ago, though, when we had a beautiful 8 hours of sailing, from Beaufort, SC to Hilton Head and back.

post-354-0-76378200-1381772197_thumb.jpg

Jim-

You are right- that is a great picture!

Now I am thinking about doing the deck bright versus the white I was planning on....I like yours.

Don't know how kind the fl sun would be on varnish but I like the statement it makes saying " this is a wooden boat sir"

Lennie

Great photos.  I love them.

Lennie,  Go for the varnish.  You can always paint her later.  If you plan to keep the boat covered, the varnish will hold up very well in Florida.  You have seen my 'Lively' and she I am ashamed to say is 5 years with basically no maintenance.  I plan to bring her into the garage and do some serious refurbishing this year.

My experience matches Dale's. Our CS20 is garage kept, so despite a lot of use in the Georgia sun, we were able to go 6 years without re-varnishing. I just applied 3 fresh coats this year for the first time, but I was surprised how good the old varnish had held up. If not for some scuffs and bangs from dropping a spar here and there, I probably could've gone a few more years without revarnishing! I use ZSpar Flagship varnish... expensive, but loaded with UV protection, weathers extremely well, and looks good too.

I find I can go a full season of 6 months in Rhode Island without any touch ups on any of my extensive bright work on my Renegade.  It does however require a good hard sanding and 3 more coats (sanding between coats) each year and occasional repairs.  I also use ZSpar Flagship.  Considering the labor it takes I find the price negligible.  And should stripping be required at some point a heat gun makes short work of it.

Good advice from all. thanks , I believe my next consideration when I get to that point, quite a ways away, will be how kind the process of the build was on the finish of the deck? My understanding is if there wasn't a lot of blemishes, knicks, spotting etc then a bright finish can look good, but if the surface got scarred up then it should be painted. make sense?

• 6 months later...

To dig up this old thread, has anyone here ever started with a varnished deck and then down the road (after a few seasons of use) decided to switch to paint for whatever reason?  Any more prep involved than just sanding?

Any coating is only as good as the base it is applied to.  If the varnish is solid then a good hard sanding to verify this and provide some real tooth to attach the primer to should be enough.  But also check the compatibility of the new material with varnish.  The manufacturer should provide this information, either on the can or on line or by some other form of contact. As the saying goes:  "When in doubt, read the instructions."