CS17 mk3 and CS20 mk3

Designer

Doug, that looks awesome. I'm glad you are Niel Armstrong-ing this for me. A few questions.

• It looks like you took the cabin down in the last picture. What's up?

• I had a good look at a SkiffAmerica and the hatch is just covered with canvas. Any decisions?

• Is that baffeled area in the middle the water ballast area?

Thanks,

Steve

1. That's an older picture

2. We nwill have a walk-through cabin top much like Bolger designs or Skiff America

The darker picture is the cabin ready to install seats/bunks.  Beneath the bridge deck and the forward part of the cockpit sole is the baffled water ballast.  The aft portion under the cockpit sole is an air tank (positive flotation along with the forward area under the tabernacle.

• Like 1

Beneath the bridge deck and the forward part of the cockpit sole is the baffled water ballast.  The aft portion under the cockpit sole is an air tank (positive flotation along with the forward area under the tabernacle.

Doug,

Just a thought (after looking at Graham's latest drawings)... during a knockdown those comings might act like a scoop when the boat recovers and dump a load of water into the cockpit.

Might be worthwhile considering a couple of drain galleries from the cockpit (through the compartment behind the cockpit) and out through the transom. Just saying. 

Boat looks really good! Nice bit of work that.

Must be trick photography. She looks like a 30 footer!

What process did you use to mark and cutout the top openings for the lockers?

I've never been that handy making such precise cuts with a jig saw. I have considered making a jig pattern and using a Rotozip to follow the jig edges.  If the jig was made the same width as the glue surface of the inner flange, you could use the outside edge of the same jig to cutout your inner flange, leaving only the center scrap of the inner flange to worry about.

Let to right: Hatch cover (1 assembled), Cabin, Cabin close-uo, Looking at with rear seat installed,(2nd row) looking forward from aft seat, mast support for ballast tank.

Looking REAL good there Doug - i'm sure there are lots of folks like me that would love to be helping you ;)What's up with what looks like a limber hole leading under the bridgedeck in the fifth picture? Just wondering ;)

As a relatively new boat builder (on my 2nd, the Spindrift 11), I am really getting hooked on the whole wooden sailboat building universe. My plan is to build this Spindrift 11, learn to sail in her for a couple of years, then sell it at a profit and raise enough to build a smallish cruiser.

Graham, I'm no expert in design, but I do spend alot of time browsing the net looking at designs and I'm really impressed with your thoughtful and user-conscious mindset when it comes to design. Many designers seem to focus on performance as their main criteria, but if I am any indication of the market, many people just want a boat that will be relatively straightforward to build, will sail well but above all is comfortable, safe and manageable in a wide variety of conditions. I was salivating over the prospect of my next build being a Belhaven 19, but these newer CS models are opening up a whole range of options.

Keep them coming!

It is actually very comfortable to sit on the bunks, leaning back against the hull.  The decision to go with an open coach roof instead of traditional hatches was made to make standing possible standing in fair weather and good access to the mast and anchor.  Bolger used this type of cabin on a lot of his designs.

• Like 1