CS17 mk3 and CS20 mk3

Designer

For the walkway cover, take a look at the "navy roof" in this issue of Wooden Boat, in the afticle on the wooden launch in ontario.  slats in a canvas top.  the top pulls out or back, sort of like a venetian blind.  i thought it had some possibilities for things we do on our open sailors.

Ok, humor  me for a minute. (humour for Graham) 

What if you had a custom-made roll-up shutter like those seen on businesses in the not-so- nice neighborhoods?  (neighbourhoods)

It should be quite easy for the manufacturer to custom size it.

It would be stout enough to stand on, be powder-coated, and it should be possible to keep it weather tight.

Maybe there are some that let in light.

You could hide the framework in exotic wood......

It would lock.

.............................................................................................................................what if it rattles?!

Not really Doc.

I love the tambour, but I was thinking more of aluminum (aluminium) slats that are extruded and each joint is a hinge. It would roll up into a rather small roll at the forward end. I think a tambour would require much more room to stow . Also, I don't think I'd step on that nice wood.

I picture a stout welded aluminum (aluminium) frame............ but then I get aluminum (aluminium) welding free.

Its an interesting problem. Unlike a Skiff America, this opening during sailing would be best if it was closed normally. But watching that video of the CS recovery, perhaps in its normal coastal sailing environment, its not super important. I'd be thinking along a  long hatch that flipped over to the side with regular drop boards in the bulkhead. Simple, easy to make waterproof and weigh supporting. If the width of the opening meant the hatch would interfere with the sail/boom, it could open from both sides. I don't like this saloon door style idea as much, because it would require a way to have a center lap that was waterproof and much more complicated, but it would be the easiest that I can think of.

A second idea would be to make a regular hatch to gain access, with a forward hatch to pop out of for reefing.

Both ideas are not ideal for inclement weather as the cabin is going to get wet, but that's about the time I'd be holed up in some creek reading a book.

Take Care,

Steve

On my SA20 I have a canvas (Sunbrella) snap-on top, and snap-on "door", with zip-down window, (on both ends of the cabin), with mosquito netting, etc. It was professionally done, and not cheap, by the way. (cabin top, doors, berth cushions, and large bimini cost over $2500). Canvas works great when the boat lives on a trailer in the barn, or when there's someone on it in when in the water. Maybe not so good if left on a mooring or dock unattended. Keep in mind, that when you go with canvas for slot top and/or doors, you sacrifice security. Kinda like having a convertible. You can't leave valuables inside and assume they'll be there when you return. For what I do and where I live that's not been an issue, but for some it may be. A secure alternative might be a traditional (but short) sliding hatch, with a hinged hatch just aft of the tabernacle, and dropboards. Or hinged hatches fore and aft. Hatches are more complicated to build, and there's less light and space, but may be a viable alternative if you want to be able to lock it up, or if a slot top does not appeal to you. Hatches might also be a good choice if you don't do canvas work and don't want to pay for it. In any event, I can't wait to see how this prototype turns out!

Joel

. Keep in mind, that when you go with canvas for slot top and/or doors, you sacrifice security. Kinda like having a convertible. You can't leave valuables inside and assume they'll be there when you return.

I don't think there is any way to lock a boat up at the mooring that is secure.  I have a teak slider and weather boards for my companionway and never even installed a latch and lock.  I figure that doing so would simply mean I would have to repair the thing if I were broken into as well as lose what ever was stolen.  My way nothing gets broken.  I think locking companionways are just a false security.  That's my 2¢ on the subject.

I am new to sailing and have just discovered these boats and this designer and you guys.

I am going to the boat show in Washington NC and I would dearly love to see in person the CD17 and MKIII.

I am finishing up a fishing skiff now.  Then J Welsford Houdini.  When that build is finished I want/need  gotta have the MKIII.

Peace and Respect

Kelly

I have just about finished making the first CS17 mk3 kit, I made the centerboard today. I am working on final tweaking and finishing up the plans and should have them available soon. There is a lot of detail and it takes time to get it all together.

I have been sneaking in a few duplicate parts so that I can have one.

• Like 3

Graham, what differences would I notice between the 17 and 20 mk3? I understand that overall there is a 3' difference in length, and about 8" (?) difference in width. How does that translate in the cabin? For instance, is there still room for the portapotti in the 17? Can a 6 footer stretch out on the berth? For solo or two-up cruising, is anything important really sacrificed with the 17?

Joel