CS17 mk3 and CS20 mk3

Designer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am working on it with Graham's tutelage. I hope to have it ready to trailer home to my shop by Monday. The cold weather has slowed down epoxy work, but having everything cut by a CNC machine (= a kit) does make things go faster.

We are now talking about a "trench" opening for the cabin a la Bolger. Working out the details of fabric-covered laminated wooden bows that would slide back to give excellent head room and access to the mast and anchor and slide forward to provide weather protection. Does anyone have detailed pictures of how others have done this, maybe a Skiff America?

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

I like the "trench" concept on a raised deck style cabin that doesn't have room on side decks to walk by the cabin. I am considering this on my next boat. It will be a 16 ft. "garvey/jon" style hull for cruising on the mountain lakes. I hope to get with Graham to finish a design so I can start building in the spring---right after I finish my "flat-back" canoe---also waiting for design.

Thank you for the updated pictures. I really love this boat and think it may be my next build in a year or two. It seems to have the things I covet. A decent sized cockpit for day sailing and room for two for an overnighter. Is it possible for a person 6' to sit against the bulkheads below? 

It seems as if the idea to have a walk through cabin (birdwatcher) makes the step down into the entry look kind of big. Is the center part of the hull part of where the water ballast will be?

Take Care,

Steve

We waved farewell to Doug today as he drove off with his new Mk3. We were happy to get her out of the shop to get a good look at her rather than being too close all of the time. I feel that she more than met my expectations and you can still see the Core Sound heritage.

There is decent headroom, without the trunk cabin. It is very comfortable laying back against the hull, at 5' 7" sitting as tall as I could, my head was not touching the deck. I think that a 6 footer could find a comfortable position.

post-127-0-81466800-1389673079_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-94362100-1389673927_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Doug, that is great news. I have plenty of room to build her in my basement, but the doors out are 58" wide. I don't want to be that basement boat guy!

I'm going to be really excited to watch the rest of your build and hopefully see it at some point. I think about the time my wife settles down and I can bring up "boat building" again, you will be finished. This boat is like a dream come true. I was looking over the Welsford Sweat Pea, a Bolger Chebbaco, and many others. But I have a Sea Pearl and a huge fan of Cat-Ketch boats. The big cockpit and minimal sleeping arrangement look perfect, plus my familiarity with the smaller Spindrift 11N gives me confidence that I could finish her.

I do like the idea of buying her as a kit as you did to save a bit of time.

Take Care,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...