CS17 mk3 and CS20 mk3

Designer

Rather than hijack the mk2 thread I will start a new one.

Chick asked that I post some pictures of the mk3.

I started on a cabin version of the CS17 at least 5 years ago.  I got involved in the big cat project and shelved it for a while. One night after work I was showing Alan some drawings that never made it. When we came upon the CS17 with the raised deck, Alan became excited by it's potential.

I cyber dusted off the oiginal drawings and imported them into Rhino and modified them a bit to fit my current thinking. Then I thought, this might work on the CS20. The CS20 mk3 was born. Here are a couple of views of her.

post-127-0-62264500-1380942601_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-64095000-1380942629_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice, works for me. Would suit my use as a cruiser better than a trunk cabin.

Just to be sure, is this version also (available with) a water ballast configuration?

The more beam-on dwg seem to suggest a daggerboard (or at least the possibility) - am I reading you correctly?

Are you be able to "estimate" the price for a kit?

* All ply parts $__ ?

* Sails $__ ?

Thx,

Tom,

She has a centerboard like the other CS's, but further offset to make the water ballast work better. Yes she has water ballast.

I am still creating the cut files for CNC cutting and still do not know exactly how many sheets of ply she will take. It will be a month before I can give a cost.

If you look closely, you will see the oars stowed inside the coamings.

The light blue box under the bridge deck is where the porta-potti is stowed.

I went to the MASCF looking for a design to build next and saw a few cabin boats, but nothing that struck a chord. I really liked the CS20 II, but this is outstanding in looks. Could it have tabernacled masts and what would it weigh?  Would the cockpit be self draining? Do you have a view from overhead? Would I be able to sit below upright?

That looks awesome, like a Welsford sweet pea meets a Bolger Chebbaco meets a CS20. I am very interested.

Steve

Thank you Doug. I saw a Skiff America last summer and I thought the potential of this type of cabin was very good. This boat looks like it would make a pretty good all purpose boat. I have a Sea Pearl that I really like, but sleeping on it is problematic, and I have the itch to build again. My Spindrift 11N won first place in its build class (B Contemporary) at the MASCF this past weekend. Considering it was my first build and the boats I was up against I am pretty honored. I am ready for build two!

Take Care,

Steve

Very nice! I have often said that if I was going to make any modifications to our CS20 (mk 1), I would raise the foredeck by about 8" and create a crawl-in cuddy space up front. This version looks much more spacious with a higher deck than I had in mind, but is right in line with the spirit of what I was envisioning. Almost tempts me to build one, but I'm so attached to the boat we have. The CS20, in any guise, is such a fine boat!

• Like 2

Anybody want to build the 17' MK II and trade it for a Princess 22? I'm seriously thinking of downsizing - hate to admit it, but I'm getting old (77) :), and looking for a lighter, shallower draft, easier setup. I don't have a place to build one either.

Travis Votaw

sailing PILGRIM, P22

• 1 month later...

I just saw a picture on the Facebook Watertribe site of the CS20 MKIII under construction. I'm so excited to see one is being built. I have the GIFs saved and dream of that boat everyday. It will be interesting to see what she weighs and see it in person. If it is truly done in time I may fly to the EC14 start to see it in person.

I'd love to see some more construction pictures than just that one.

Take Care,

Steve

Steve, we've been working or going to Graham's boatbuilding class every working hour. This is the prototype and we are working out the details. I'll put up pictures on my blog and post the link here when I get home. Graham plans on having a kit. She is going together nicely and already feels like a 25 foot boat (big cockpit and reasonable cabin).

I agree with Brent. This looks like a fast light boat that would plane fairly easy. A place to keep yourself and stores dry. Hope it has enough headroom to find at least a few places to set upright.

I'm not a purist in any sense of the word so the oars would never be installed on one for me. I would rather smell a smoky outboard or use an electric than to have oars aboard. Oars are a disgusting thing, as much so as a post hole digger. Just very nasty creatures by design!

Scott