BandB style "Robb White Sport Boat"

Chick Ludwig

Any of you guys interested in building one of these? I've asked Graham about designing one for "tortured ply" construction like his other designs. 

Check-it-out here: http://www.robbwhite.com/sportboat.html

I thought about adding a sail rig, but that's maybe too much. What do y'all think?

if you haven't read Robb White's book Flotsam and Jetsam then you are in for a real treat.  He knew how to build small boats but more than that he was a great story teller.  Many of those stories were published in Messing about in Boats.  There is also an audible partial collection of these stories that he reads himself in a wonderful southern drawl.  Makes me feel at home.

Gheenoe has a fully planing hull with flaired chines with a much wider bottom. They don't row or paddle well at all, but are great with a larger motor. The Robb White boat was developed from an aluminum Grumman Sport boat from the post WWII years. His has a finer entry than the Grumman and is better in chop. He also extended the length from 14 ft. to 16 ft.

My intent is for a boat that is stable, will cartop easily, will motor efficiently with an electric or 2.4 hp motor. I'll occasionally paddle or row. She'll be used in mountain lakes and rivers.

Still thinking of a sail rig. I have a new 42 sf. sail that I used to provide on the Piranha sailboats that I used to build. It is a sleeve luff and uses a wishbone boom. I'd have a daggerboard trunk built in the boat.

if you haven't read Robb White's book Flotsam and Jetsam then you are in for a real treat.  He knew how to build small boats but more than that he was a great story teller.  Many of those stories were published in Messing about in Boats.  There is also an audible partial collection of these stories that he reads himself in a wonderful southern drawl.  Makes me feel at home.

+100. One of may favorite books ever. Every story is a real "shootin' the shit" tale, told in that distinctive Southern drawl, as if you were hearing it on his porch right at the source.

Would have loved to have heard him in person.

• 2 weeks later...