CS17 auxiliary power

brijbldr

A small outboard can be and is carried on the transom or a bracket on the CS-17. Other then a backing plate (1/2" to 3/4" plywood) mounted on either side, no additional reinforcement is necessary for the typical small engines used. The boat only needs a 5 HP to propel well. A 10 HP will make her plane off at some speed, though additional transom reinforcement should be used. She'll get really twitchy at the upper end of the abilities on a 10 HP engine's throttle range, but you can run in the low to mid teens easily with this setup. Of course, the weight of a 10 HP will affect trim considerably and this wouldn't be my recommendation for a CS-17. A FNR equipped 5 HP will do great.

We recently put a Honda 2.3 hp air cooled long shaft OB on our Core Sound 17 #351 "La Perla" to get out of the Barrington River in RI which has a pretty good tidal current.  We cruise at 5 kt. and the motor weighs 31 lb.  The larger motors were too heavy in my opinion.  We only plane with the sails up. :)

I motored many miles with my Honda 2hp on my CS17, in pretty much all kinds of weather including 20+ knot headwinds and never needed more power. For sailing performance, I wouldn't hang anything heavier than that Honda off my transom, though I know others have done it quite successfully.

I agree with Ken.  I have used my Honda 4cyl 2HP on my CS 17 'Lively' since day one and have been happy with it.  I have had a couple of problems with fuel though.  NEVER NEVER use any fuel that contains ethanol.  All my problems have come from either very old fuel or ethanol.

The other thing I do is turn the fuel switch off and let her run until she dies.  Then when I get home I unscrew the carburetor drain at rear of engine to get the remainder of fuel out. More recently, I have taken the advice of a motor expert and actually siphon all the fuel from the engine if I think I will not be sailing for quite awhile.  (this is probably overkill)  Since I have started doing these things I have not had any problems.

dale

Posted Image

Looking at the picture: notice the arm with the throttle at the end (tiller arm). The arm is made to flip from the front or forward position to the aft and reverse position. For the motor to be operated in forward the tiller arm/throttle arm would be horizontal and facing into the cockpit with the motor oriented as it is in the picture, the prop is pushing water away from the hull and pushing the hull forward. For reverse the motor would be spun 180 degrees so the prop is pushing water under the hull or pulling the boat backwards, the tiller arm pivots so that it can always face the cockpit regardless of the motor facing forward or aft.

The centrifugal clutch works as follows:  At very low idle the clutch disengages and the prop does not spin giving you neutral as you increase throttle the clutch engages and the prop starts to move and then increases rpms as the throttle is increased.

Hope that helps,

Jim

The 2 HP Honda 4 cycle (29 lbs-short shaft)  is fine on my CS 17.  I bot it during construction so I could build a "storage" motor mount for it in the aft compartment when the motor is not on the adjustable transome mount---  there is an old "thread" on the Forum on building motor mounts in the aft compartment.  I plan to sail my boat to the 2013 Mess-About.

I used to get a ton of e-mails asking about the motor on my CS20 and how it performs. Here's the webpage I finally put up about that topic. It's a few years old, but I think most of the observations are still fairly accurate. Besides the Merc/Tohatsu and Honda options, I think Yamaha also makes a sub-4 hp motor also, which weighs somewhere in between those other two options. I think all of them are fine motors. The Honda has gotten a little lighter (minus a pound, I think) and a little more powerful (bumped up to 2.3 hp) in the last few years.

http://www.roguepaddler.com/cs20w.htm

A small outboard can be and is carried on the transom or a bracket on the CS-17. Other then a backing plate (1/2" to 3/4" plywood) mounted on either side, no additional reinforcement is necessary for the typical small engines used. The boat only needs a 5 HP to propel well. A 10 HP will make her plane off at some speed, though additional transom reinforcement should be used. She'll get really twitchy at the upper engine of the abilities of a 10 HP engine throttle range, but you can run in the low to mid teens easily with this setup. Of course, the weight of a 10 HP will affect trim considerably and this wouldn't be my recommendation for a CS-17. A FNR equipped 5 HP will do great.

Best speeds I've ever seen with my 6 hp outboard are around 8 knots. I'm a strong proponent of hanging the OB on a bracket, otherwise I find there are far too many tangles and snags with the mizzen sheets.