CS17 #370 Peggy-O

LennieG

Buy a cheap air brush (double action if you want to get good) and practice some techniques. These aren't hard to learn and acquire, though the creativity does come with a cost (insert weenie stuff here). I've gotten really good with an airbrush and I'd recommend some "real" flames, instead of the faux ones usually seen.

Posted Image

This isn't the best I've seen, but you should get the point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Life has gotten in the way of the build for past month and will continue to for a couple more weeks. However, planning next steps. I am basically ready for the flip and finishing the hull.....sealing, sanding painting.

Question: it would seem to me to make sense to add the rub rail/ gunwale now so I am not gluing it on top of a new paint job with glossy finish later, but I never see anyone doing that on this forum. I know there has to be a reason for the usual sequence......can the experts guide me......

Thanks

I would never glue over paint.  When a boat is very heavy and cumbersome the goal is to flip it as few times as possible, once being ideal.  I would consider painting up (or down as the boat is inverted) to near where the gunwale would be before flipping, because it is easier.  Then after flipping and applying the gunwale paint to it, building up coats in the unfinished area and then final coating the topsides down to the water line as one final complete finished last coat.

Lennie,

The CS17 does not have to have a gunwale. The Spindrift's and boats without deck or inwale have to have a gunwale. What you are putting it on for is to have a rub rail. As Matt said, I usually put it on with caulk and screws after the boat is painted. If it gets beat up, then it has done it's job of protecting the hull and you can easily replace it when it becomes too ratty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Flipping boat this afternoon and installing keel this week and then starting the sanding, fairing, painting process, finally.

Question please: are the screws used to attach the keel permanent, or temporary while the goo dries? It seems like temporary particularly since there is a small filet at edges of keel.

• 3 weeks later...

Seams taped. Also picked up lumber for keel ( nice piece of cypress), scribed and cut ( no pic) . Came out very good. I had been unclear about this step until doing it. It helped a lot to nail a flat pencil onto a small piece of wood, the total of the pencil and piece of wood equalling an inch. It sure made drawing the line easy.post-3404-0-64438900-1400201971_thumb.jpg

Took PeggyO out for first time, and like others have said felt pretty good to her out of doors. Cleaned the shop, put her back, and glassed half of her and plan to finish glassing tomorrow. Did it after five o'clock because was worried about the decreasing temperature "rule". Figured if the boat was in the sun for an hour and then back in the tin box she would begin reducing temp.post-3404-0-70347700-1400552353_thumb.jpgpost-3404-0-65432000-1400552373_thumb.jpg