Swim noodles for float bags

garrett6575

Finally, my mess about is ready to hit the water.  Trim and rigging still needs added, but I want to get it in before I need to put it away for the winter.  Has anyone used swim noodles for float bags?  I was thinking of using zip ties to create bundles to fit between the frames on both ends, cut to length as needed.  I like the idea because I have a bunch of them handy, they are puncture resistant, will take up a lot of volume if the boat were to submerge and they should have more than enough flotation.   Plus they could be pulled out and used as a swim toy wen the boat is on shore.

My biggest concern would be securing them so that they don't come shooting out if the boat was flooded.

I was discussing floatation with another member JED. We have talked about these as well and I thought that securing a net material to the frames would keep them in their place. I have also looked at these pool balls which would fill the entire area but the minimum order would require no less than four people to justify the cost, Pool Balls.

Tie the noodles in before skinning.  Access for replacement is a good reason for two piece skins.

Noodles alongside the cockpit exclude water at the widest part of the boat to aid stability if the boat is full of water, besides excluding as much water as feasible.  Those are easier to remove and replace.

I used swim noodles on my son's 10' Sea Flea and locked them between the cross sections before skinning, they can only be removed if the skin is removed.

However, as Jeff stated, floatation bags are much better and displace more water.  I use them on all of my "adult sized" SOFs.

Posted Image

Matt how long have you been using the bags and have you had any problems with leaking. I might consider spending a little extra for these in the end.

I've been using the bags for about 5 years, no signs of leakage. On Tom Yost's site Yostwerks, you can find plans for making them. Chris Cunningham also has good instructions in his traditional Greenland Kayak building book. As Jeff mentioned on a different thread, I would check out heat sealable nylon instead of the vinyl that is used on the Yostwerks site, primarily for durability.

• 2 weeks later...