Starting CS17 hull # 370 next week....workshop questions

LennieG

Looks like my CS 17 kit will arrive next week and I can't wait to get started. Would appreciate your thoughts on workhorses and benches as that is this weeks project. I ended up renting storage room space and got a deal on so have nice space (16' x30'). i have built 2 4x8 benches which are 35" high and plan to use for building side panels, bottom etc and thru butterfly and hull assembly. ( I am beyond the days of working low or on my knees...can't do it). My plan is to build 2 sets of horses, one high (35") and one low (12") and move hull to one of them after stitched, then use bench for other parts.

Is the hull movable after being stitched ? Think i am on right course?

Thanks

I made a movable cradle as my garage was very cramped as you can see in the photos. The supports were shaped to fit under the hull at the bulkheads. I found it made working on the boat much easier to have it well supported and at a good height. You may not think you want to move it in a large garage but the ability to move it outside for painting or sanding was nice (until my festool sander and vacuum came along!).

A well fitted cradle is worth the effort IMHO.

post-425-0-27850600-1377582328_thumb.jpgpost-425-0-21562200-1377582383_thumb.jpgpost-425-0-88417200-1377582424_thumb.jpgpost-425-0-20221600-1377582513_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter HK

Ps I unfolded the butterfly on the cradle...it's a bit flimsy at the start to move around much.

post-425-0-98759100-1377582751_thumb.jpg

+1 on movable cradle. Originally I did it with the intent to be able to move it outside for sanding, but it is really nice to move it around a foot here or a foot there even in the garage bay, as my space is tight.  I build the ladderframe first and used that for laying out and making the hull panels, then added cradle supports once I was ready to stitch it up.

Posted Image

Same for me as the guys above.  I made a movable framework.  I'll put some panels on it for a flat surface to glue up the long scarfed pieces.  Then I'll add frames at the bulkheads to hold the hull, probably with some reinforcement as well  I've already used it as a trailer to haul a bunch of lumber up the driveway to the garage, and as a sawhorse for working on some of that lumber.  Having used it just that little bit so far, it is incredibly handyl.

Posted Image

Thanks for all the responses and feedback! Will re think my plans. Always intended to build and use cradles,but was going to mount on horses, as the class I took this summer did. What amazes me is how high the boat seems to get despite being placed on a low base.

Thanks

Len

When the hull is upside down, you'll want it about a foot off the floor, but more importantly the ability to rotate it from one side to the other, which makes filling and fairing operations easier. I did this by making a triangular cradle, so the boat could be moved from plumb (upside down) to about 30 degrees. This placed the flat panels in a better "down hand" position for sanding.

http://messing-about.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4098

This shows the hull being rolled and the triangular supports are visible. What's not is the rolling cradle it sat on.

http://messing-about.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4831

This shows about how high she is and the forward potion of the roller setup. She was arranged with fully swiveling pads, so the bow could be swung, while the stern remained in place.

When upright, she just sat in a couple of padded V shaped supports, on a 2x6 box frame with wheels.