EC22 - Hull #10

ecgossett

First post talking about this. 

I've already been up at Enumclaw lumber looking at okoume. I started pricing out Douglas Fir Vertical Grain, for the stringers, framing, and centerboard. I believe on average I'll pay $25-35 per 1'x6"x12' of douglas fir. 

Can anyone offer some cheaper wood alternatives for stringers or places to purchase better priced Fir. Are there any other highly recommended woods for centerboard, and framing?

Nice -- another EC22 coming !

$25 brings that to around $4.20 a bd/ft ---- seems about right for 1x6 fir (at least for our local conditions)... My local yard's stock was excellent in 2x6, I have a harder time finding good quality 1x6,  and the 2x6 was $5.50-6$ a bd/ft depending when I got it.  At $35 for 1x6x12, you might want to shop around. Not sure what species would be cheaper and still a good sub for the fir. I was thinking of using cedar for the centerboard for example, but I can't get it much cheaper than the fir.

I am considering MERANTI  planks. They are a good price at http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/StoreProducts/ProductList/1362 near Port Townsend. 

It's funny I found a local lumber place that can order 6mil Okoume 1088 Plywood for a cheaper price then Edensaw, yet when it comes to the 4mm its reversed.

I don't mind using fir for some stuff like centerboard, but am trying to find a cheaper replacement for the framing. I used cedar before for some stringers, I was able to get a 18ft feet of cedar and straight cuts that missed the knots. You just have to be careful when epoxying in place; pre-drill holes so you don't split it, when using temporary screws.

http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/Store/CategoryHome/1191

Some of the categories I'm looking at for wood.

http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/Store/CategoryHome/1094

Other wood prices I'm looking at for normal grade stuff.

Edward,

I framed my basement this summer with some very nice spruce (rated SPF) purchased from Dunn Lumber in Seattle.  Looks like maybe it is second growth and it seemed too good for house framing.  I'm told it is being imported from Canada.  I recommend you go have a look at some of the 2x6 and 2x8 in longer lengths as some of those were nearly knot free.   I don't recall pricing but it should be significantly cheaper than VG fir.

Randy Jones