Core Sound 17 - Graphics/Line Image for Sign

ecgossett

An improvement. There are things that graphic artists and typesetters do, to make things look and read better. The first thing is swap the locations of the art, so they are heading toward the center of the piece, not sailing off it. It's a visual thing. Lose the arrow and let the text do the talking. Don't get fancy, just "designed by Graham . . ." and this wouldn't be upper right, but lower right or left, with less "presence" in regard to font type, size and location. Ideally, the text should be grouped. You have a title block, which would be a semi decorative , bold font, but not a "marquee" type font,  such as that used in the .com name, but more of a slightly decorative "headline" font. The next block of test should be descriptive, such as "fast, able, well proven, etc., etc., etc.". The last text block could be the physical dimensions, which should be smaller and have less prominence then the descriptive block. All of the spec's should be here, not broken up and I'd whittle it down to just the basic sail area and not include the multiple areas. Some additional hydro stuff would be nice, for those in the know, such as Cp, SA/D and D/L. Some like to compare these figures.

Clean, simple, organized text blocks that read well. The art can be over printed slightly for effect and you only need two fonts, not 6. If you want more emphasis, use bold or a graphic (shadow box, drop shadow, reverse block, etc.), never use underline (sign of a real amateur graphic artist). I'm not trying to insult you. It took me years to learn these things, after I made the same novice mistakes.

Maybe something like this;

post-304-0-49837600-1376891867_thumb.jpg

I also think you need complete contact information, like telephone and address.

I'm having a sign made up for the boat show in September...............

Shouldn't the sign mention the boat show?  Maybe have the date?  Or does this sign go in front of the boat at the show? If so, are you building them?  Maybe some mention of you and that you are a builder?

A lot of effort is going into the art of this sign but so far all it has done is confuse me.

This was a 10 minute thing and I didn't really proof read it, so typos are likely. If I played with it a bit more, I'd likely want to move things a bit and certainly more information about the design, physical parameters and why the sign exists (purpose).

My example follows the "usual" rules, meaning the main point of focus is the CS-17 and the .com name, so both are in the largest size and feature predominately. A reader's eye naturally want to flow from left to right, so the next thing it gets are is the descriptive text block, which drags the eye down the ad, past more artwork to the physical descriptor, then lastly to the .com name.

Again, I'd like to see more "spec's" for the design and more detailed contact information, possibly a blurb about Graham, but it all depends on what this ad is supposed to do. It is possible to have too much information.

I'll have business cards with phone number, and plan on printing up a binder of photos and info. On top of that Graham will be at the Small Craft Booth. Nearby by will be Randy's traditionally finished and beautiful Core Sound 17, the green striped one that has a photo of it on B&B's CS17 page.