Outer Banks 20 #24 Progress Thread

striperick

Wanted to post something that is "out of the ordinary" that happened today on my build. Family members who have seen my up side down jig contraption in garage have been pretty skeptical of building a boat.At least one that would float.Not because of my skills mind you. I think its more of a thought that if you want a boat .....purchasing a production Clorox bottle white production boat is the only way to go.

Backround history .....My dad is a finished carpenter who taught me how to properly run power tools, set ladders and basically any thing to do with carpentry long before my adulthood. Mind you NEITHER of us are boat builders and cant pretend to be.

Dad who is now 79 years old and is very strong and feisty and still works 30 hours weekly remodeling and odd jobs. Dad asks what I am doing today and I respond that I intend to glue the bottom down on the OB20. He says he will come over to "watch'. After showing him Grahams drawing and methods for assembly  WE jumped right in slinging epoxy, ratchet clamps and any thing we could reach. 

There was some apprehension in his part on how the heck the 3/8" ply was going to bend , then as we were both working can see this taking shape. As the bow is all clamped up dad stands back (and has the same thought that has run through my head hundreds of times) and says " wow look at the curve on her"

It finally hit me..... It wasnt about how much we got done or when it will be ready (if at all ) it was about enjoying the journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the chines glued up for length and scribed to the bottom.Cut them to width tomorrow.  Ran out of epoxy arghhhh. Side stringers up next. I could always go under the boat and sand up the awfull mess I made under there. I tried to be diligent and clean up as I went along...... but still a mess. 

post-3355-0-07622800-1398639907_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Using Grahams recommendation of southern yellow pine for the side stringers. I purchased, scarfed, glued for length, and the ripped the side stringers. I snapped 3 of the 12 pieces but the material seemed very dry. they are cut to length and I am gluing them to each bulkhead fore then aft. Thankfully that is an optical illusion where the keel appears to be curved port/starboard . It is very straight. I was able to get sons car out of garage and centered the boat re leveled frame so I can begin side planking next week.

post-3355-0-55458700-1402004178_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-80182600-1402004199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got back at it today after not touching the boat for 3 weeks. Started to lay the inner layer of 4mm plywood w/ 3/4" truss head screws. I have  found a 7/16" truss head screw in a woodwork outlet store. Will try those (with washer ) on the outer layer (between side stringers) and post my results. If it fails I will use staples and pull them out. I am using 2 different drill bits w/ drill bit stops attached to bits One larger diameter bit to for plywood and a smaller diameter bit for the screw shank in side stringer or bulkheads . I have the clutch set on the cordless gun to get what i hope is the proper tourque. Not stripping screws and not squirting all the epoxy out either. Does anyone have any input on the "recipe" for the epoxy fillers between the the 2 layers of planking? Is just cabosil adequate or should some glass fibers be added for additional strength?

post-3355-0-17026900-1404091218_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Started to add outer layer to the area that is started towards the stern.  I had a few fall offs of 4mm material that were too small to be useable so I ripped them into 2 1/2" strips. Ran a test and arrow T50 1/2" staples do not protrude through 3 layers of 4mm material  (1/2" = 12.7mm)   I also gauged the Bruynzeel Okoume plywood and each layer is a hair thicker than 4mm so that helps also.

After the epoxy is dry the 4mm sacrificial strip peels easily away from the outer layer(see left hand side of picture B)  I probably overkilled the amount of staples I used but they are cheap $3 box . I have yet to snap a single staple . As a side note arrow sells a T50 pneumatic stapler for 32 bucks at Lowes. But I passed on that. Dads old hand stapler works just fine

(see Picture A)

The process of stapling, removing ( I actually removed the old staples from the sacrificial strips and reused old strips further down the line) goes pretty quickly.I would think different staple lengths and sacrificial strip thickness can be adjusted. We will see how this works near the bow.

post-3355-0-60926800-1406477542_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-57435000-1406477572_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-84428400-1406477590_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-18536500-1406477671_thumb.jpg

Striperick, looking good.  My staples protruded on the inside of the boat.  Not all but some.  In some places there were some splinters, divots, etc.  The inside  sanding took care of most of it and the glassing covered the small defects nicely.  But I wasn't really to concerned about it.   Good idea with the sacrificial strips.  I know this probably goes without saying, but be careful you are getting good contact and leaving no voids between layers.  The staples really won't pull the layers together, but will hold them together once they are either clamped or enough pressure can be brought to bear on the stapler.

I know the flair in your bow area isn't as pronounced as the Ocracoke, but take care you are getting good contact between panels.  I believe your planks may be thinner than the Ocracokes but take care, making sure you use enough resin and getting good contact between layers.  I guess my point is not to count on the staples pulling the planks together, just holding them there after either clamping or using adequate pressure on the stapler.  And this is not easy.   Body weight may not be enough in some areas.  Considerable force is needed and I could leverage my body and strength against my barn walls.  Make sure your staples are protruding into the second layer enough to hold well.

My staples held so well that you could not pull a test panel apart without breaking the staples off and even then it was extremely difficult and the outside layer of of the test panel would actually crack while trying to pry it off.  Now after all this being said, I did use the Raptor staples, perhaps you are using the metal type which may pull back out.  The Raptors should not be able to be pulled out!  I've been following your build and it looks good.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dad comes over every Saturday and we work on boat. Hes 80 years old now but he has hands of gold. Always has . Unless there is a serious crisis going on everyone know this is "our time". Do I know when she will be finished? Nope. Am I stressed about it ? Nope .Are we enjoying the journey ? Yup

post-3355-0-52800000-1413860340_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dad comes over every Saturday and we work on boat. Hes 80 years old now but he has hands of gold. Always has . Unless there is a serious crisis going on everyone know this is "our time". Do I know when she will be finished? Nope. Am I stressed about it ? Nope .Are we enjoying the journey ? Yup

Hi Striperick,

I follow your post as I am building my OB20. I have started 2 months ago and I am about o start planking some time the next 2 weeks.  

I wouls like to ask you about the frames TF1 and TF2. In the plan it shows that are temporary i.e. they are marked with orange lines and the note says that orange line frames are temporary.

Have you removed these frames after finishing the planking and turning the boat upside down? 

Manolis

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally made some progress. Cold garage or kerosene fumes are the choices I make.  I am happy with the sizes/ width and angle of planks. Like Graham wrote somewhere.... once you see it  as your planking you see what makes sence.

post-3355-0-44539100-1425319717_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-59537400-1425319722_thumb.jpg

Hi Rick, It's good to see you are back into it!  I have finished the sides and am now in the process of fairing them. Also the outboard cut out and made up a plate to take the curve out of the part of the transom that the motor will bolt to. What are you going to do as far as the keel and protecting it? I was thinking of a 12mm half moon s/s keel band running back to where the deadwood will start from. Keep up the good work.

Trev

• 4 weeks later...

Moumental day in my build. Last plank went on at 11am . Pushed her outside to spin her around so I can prep the transom for glass. Trying to build a 20' boat in a 20' garage is a challange but you got to work with what you got. Thought it would be a good time to clean up and blow out the "boat shop". If I can glass her while cool springtime temps gives me time to lay up  and then paint before humidity gets too high (summer). Starting to reserch paints . It will probably be either interlux perfection or system 3. I am leaning towards system 3 as its not such a high gloss finish.

post-3355-0-07122600-1427662115_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-46753600-1427662172_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-92678400-1427662337_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After messing around trying to make the okume plywood look nice w some solor lux alcohol base dye stains and having a few mishaps and burning through the face veneer.. I decided to resaw some old mahogany we have had in the garage to 3/32. We then adhered the whole panel using our patented vacum system wink wink

post-3355-0-14681800-1429488545_thumb.jpg

post-3355-0-79925900-1429488941_thumb.jpg