polypropylene, nylon, and Plexiglas fall into this
category. Hard, rigid plastics such as PVC, ABS,
polycarbonate, and styrene provide better adhesion
with good surface preparation and adequate bonding
area. After sanding, flame oxidizing (by quickly passing
the flame of a propane torch over the surface without
melting the plastic) can improve bonding in some
plastics.

This suggests that chemical effects could be similar. I suppose a test bonding would give the answer.
Flaming costs nothing and takes next to no time and comes with a recommendation from experts so I'd probably stick with that.

Cheers
Peter HK

I made the holes for the wiring chase pipe just a little over size.  Braced my pipe as best I could so a very slight gap was around the pipe and filled the gap with 5200 and used enough to make a nice fillet around the pipe on both sides of the bulkheads and decks.  I wanted the joints to be flexible.  That was my thought anyhow.  Seemed to work well and time will tell the tale.

Hi Russell, I have been following your build. I just wanted to say thanks for all the updates on your boat. I hope to build this same one here hopefully starting next year. Your post is a great encouragement! I am curious, what are you planning on using for an Engine? Good Job! Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

My fears were highest during the planning phase, hopeing all would work as I had planned. Once we started things went fast and concentration and action replaced fear, the cold beer after she was settled in her nest was the best! My three friends worked like a team and all went well.

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd update a bit, I'm getting ready to glue the sole and have been procrastinating wondering if there is anything more I need to do under there. Looking for a little advise from you all regarding the right goo for the job.My first thought is to use thickened epoxy, some folk say they use 3M 5200, and some say glue the edges and 5200 the stringers ect? 

post-1248-0-46123700-1444566507_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-48646500-1444566537_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-32128900-1444566563_thumb.jpg

post-1248-0-41241300-1444566640_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...