Kayak hauler #2 finished

Kudzu

Finally got around to doing all the modifications... well most, to the trailer. I originally rigged up a wood rack with metal bars  and it worked good enough but there was room for improvement. I planned on building a fancy wood laminated rack to to try to wow people with my mad wood working skills. ;) Varnished and shiny and with a lot of Wow factor. But frankly I never came up with a design I cared for and it's hard to beat steel. 

Steel may not look as cool but the maintenance is minimal and it's probably sturdier too.  So I stripped everything off. Cut my steel up and due to short time frame I took to a friend and had him weld it up for.

Posted Image

I brought it home and spent a few hours going over it. Repainted it. Cleaned and greased the bearings and man did they need it! Grease in the hubs was like thick oil instead of grease. Rewired the lights the proper way. Modified the safety chains.

Here is kayak hauler #2 behind Solo or kayak hauler #1. And yes i am missing a set of bars. I ran short of steel so we just went with 3 arms. The 4th will be added in a few weeks.

Posted Image

As far as I have to drive to get to the class I figured the gas savings will be well worth the extra effort it took to get this things finished in time to leave. Besides I love hauling kayaks on a trailer. It's just so quick and easy to load and unload the boat(s). This trailer is so lightweight you don't know it is behind you Plus it's the same width as the truck so you don't have to watch the mirrors or worry about it running off the shoulder as with my big trailer

A trip to the sign maker for some signage and it done!

Eventually I'll have 3 kayaks to haul, only 2 will fit on the roof rack so I have thought about a trailer, however the one thing that concerns me is inattentive drivers.  Yeah, it can happen anytime but I'd be really ticked if some texting while driving dummy rear ended my trailer loaded with handmade kayaks and bashed them up. 

I can't get the HF web site to load, I am sitting in the lobby of the Marine Consortium right now so I can use the wifi, but I am pretty sure I know which one your talking about. Lot of people have modified one of the HF trailers into kayak haulers. There cheap made trailers so you have to periodically tighten up the bolts and fiddle with it, but it's hard to beat the price! 

I just drove 800+ miles and love my trailer. I share Scotts concern about someone hitting the trailer but there not much that can be done about that.