Can the stringers be applied to the sides after unfolding?

Let's say you had a "friend" who forgot to put the stringers on the insides of the sides of the Core Sound before gluing the sides to the bottoms, just prior to unfolding.  Now that "friend" fears that to try and lift the sides up to apply the stringer would break the now glued and dried 12-14 inch puzzle joint with fiberglass tape on both sides.

Could the boat now just be stitched and unfolded and then the stringer glued in? 

Yes. That's what I did (or didn't do) when I started my Belhaven. To my great regret. Had I attached the side stringers first I would have saved myself a lot of work hours. And I would have ended with stiffer panels to open up.

My 2c: It will take less time and effort to glue the stringers on a flat, horizontal surface and if needed redo a ripped joint tape than to put them in on a curved, vertical one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .

I agree with Maligno.  You would come out ahead time wise, putting the stringers on the flat and redoing the taping if necessary.  Don't forget to taper the forward section.  The helps prevent the panels from cracking when folded due to more stress on the forward areas while taping, and allows for some more bending of the forward bow section.