Starting on first boat soon, CS17, in SW FL

LennieG

Hope I am not taking on too much for first boat, but love everything I read about it, and enjoy the forum. I did take a Woodenboat stitch- and- glue class this summer, and I am going with the kit. Any CS 17's in SW FL that you know of?

Thanks-

LennieG

I am in Clearwater.  Our trailer sailing club goes to Cayo Costa and have been down as far as Ft Meyers and the Everglades on adventures.  I would be happy to answer questions or show you my boat if you would like to drive up to Clearwater.  Check out our website and you will know when we are coming your way.

http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/

Where are you located?

Dale

Hi Dale-

Thanks! I am in Bonita Springs (just south of Ft MYERS).

I have admired Lively on some of the many google images of CS17. Called to order boat today and looking forward to call back.

Planning on the hull that is available that is not the same as yours but the one with some deck under the tiller because it seemed me a good storage area. Would welcome any thoughts on that topic.

I can't wait to jump into this project. Looked at your club link extensively and am interested once I get built! I will take a trip up there to Clearwater before long to see your boat.

Thanks

Len

lengodfrey24@gmail.com

Len,

I don't think you will find the build too hard for a first build, and if you are getting the kit that will also speed things up for you. I did a kayak kit for my first one and had a learning curve with epoxy, but I'm sure you got plenty of hands-on at woodenboat. Post some pictures along the way, and check the archives here, there's lots of great info on the forum. I'm just now working on centerboard and trunk which takes a little patience, but up to now it's been much like the kayak, just with bigger panels :)

Dale was kind enough to show me Lively a while back when I was on vacation, you guys have some great sailing grounds down there.

Chris

I built 'Lively' from scratch since there were no kits at that time.  I would have done the kit if available.  I consulted with Graham about the lowered deck aft and he told me how to do it.  I have never been sorry I lowered it to seat level.  I do still have significant storage under the aft seat.  I wanted it this way because i knew I would be putting a 2HP Honda on the boat and it would be much more accessible. Graham may be able to modify the kit for the lowered seat or tell you how to do it if you would like.  I would suggest if you do the aft higher deck that you make a cutout for a small motor unless you are a pure sailor.  I do not like motors very much but cruising with our club there are many times where it is very convenient to get out channels, etc.  I have seen photos on this site of flush aft decks with a cutout for a motor.

The only other thing I modified from the plans was my forward deck hatch.  I did not like the hatch sticking up.  I thought it was ugly so I made a flush hatch similar to the way they do on kayaks.  I have never been sorry about this change.  There is so much storage on the CS 17 that I rarely even use the forward deck hatch.

I have been to the WoodenBoat School many times.  I think you should not have a problem building since you have had the class.  Getting the time to do it is always a problem for me.  I seem to have too many hobbies in retirement. .

Just call or email me when you would like to visit and talk boats.  I will find time.  I love to talk boats, sailing, etc.