Missouri River 340

Howard

For now, I understand no sails are allowed:

http://rivermiles.com/mr340/

Not sure where they came up with 88 hours, but you would have to average 3.4 mph over 24 hour days for 3 1/2 days to accomplish that.

Biggest obstacle participants have to overcome is fatigue. The river is dangerous enough on a good day. I'm guessing it is only a matter of time until someone drowns.

A sail is about useless in the head wind that seems to favor this race.

The MR 340 is an endurance race.  Not a Saturday night dosey doe with a pretty gal.  Whether the Missouri River is too dangerous is a matter of opinion from an assessment of one's personal risk tolerance and is not a universal opinion.  Or particularly defensible.

The first two legs check in times designed to push the paddlers in order to eliminate racers that will be too slow to complete the race.

This year a new record time was set; 35 hours, 58 minutes.  Pretty cool, that team earned the record.

I have no idea about how the sponsors arrived at the 88 hour limit, but it's a practical limit on the demands from the race volunteers, and it's obvious that there's no point in a longer period, 88 hours is sufficient for every paddler that wants to complete the course but isn't interested in being the first boat to finish.  Finishing the race is a considerable accomplishment.