Canadian High Pressure front

To any of our Canadian members.  Thank you so much for sending the Canadian High pressure front down to Maine.

Past week has been highs in the 90's with high humidity and Dew Points in the upper 70's.

Over past  hour the air has noticeably dried out and the temp has dropped 8 degrees already.!!

Geesh, it was feeling like North Carolina here all week!  Blech.

I don't know how those in the south deal with this all summer

Well Ray, speaking from very far south (Brisbane, Australia) where the climate is subtropical, about the same as Florida, I now have an air-conditioned workshop :)

Luxury!

Cheers

Peter HK

It has been the pits working in the shop all this week with sweat running down my back, nose, forehead dripping on my glasses....

I don't know how those in the south deal with this all summer....

Welcome to Florida Ray . . . I too have an A/C'd shop, as do many in the subtropics. The shop, even un-A/D'd, isn't nearly as bad as working in the field, chasing snakes, with bugs big enough to carry you off to their lair and consume you in their leisure and the only relief being, the shadow of the bilge hovering over you, as you toil away. I've actually scheduled work, so I can stay on the shady side of a project during the day. I feel sorry for roofers.

No AC in shop here.  Can't ever see installing it either.  Weeks like this past one is fairly rare.  Yeah we get weather like that for 2-3 days,  but 7 is rare.

I gotta wonder on AC'd shops,  How on earth do you handle all the dust drawn into the heat exchanger?

No AC in shop here.  Can't ever see installing it either.  Weeks like this past one is fairly rare.  Yeah we get weather like that for 2-3 days,  but 7 is rare. I gotta wonder on AC'd shops,  How on earth do you handle all the dust drawn into the heat exchanger?

Filters.

Cleaning out the air handler is not hard or unusual. Growing tied of this the cold air return plenum was reversed, so it draws air from the "clean room" portion of the shop and now has a prefilter to catch most of the dust, before the main filter gets it. They sell much better systems, some hydrostatic that energize the particulates, which then get attracted to a series of plates. The simple solution is a soft brush on the end of the shop vac, over the evaporator coils every so often. Though my unit does have a 60kw heater, it's very rare to need it down here. I think I did once last winter.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what we call strip heat here in the Sun Shine State and a pretty common setup. Depending on how much sq. footage and insulative value, you'll install heating elements in the plenum of the air handler, typically in 20kw units. This unit has two 30's on a four ton can. It's not something you want to use much, as it's like a giant toaster and eat electrons like you can't imagine, so I have this installed on a two stage system, which basically uses the strips to offset the heat pump when the ambient air temperature is in the 40's (30's a rare). The heat pump can maintain the temperature once you're there, but needs help if it's cold outside, at least until the internal air mass is warmed a bit. I had a reversing valve take a dump on me a few years ago (this unit) and she ran on the strips all January and February, in the coldest year we've hard in decades. My electric bill jumped $500 each month and I liked to crap myself, but it's how I knew something wasn't right.