Centre board off water height -capsize

Nacrajon

I was looking at this closed thread:

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/6604-capsize-test/

The centre board seems a long way off the water for a swimmer for capsize recovery. Has anybody capsized in deep water and were you able to right it easily?

I have vivid memories of five crew in the water, 10km off the coast in a capsized sports boat. None of use could reach the centre board to right her and we were worried about her turning turtle. It took over an hour for her buoyancy tanks to fill with enough water for one of us to be able to grab the centre board. It's not something I want to repeat.

Does the design have enough buoyancy fore and aft to not have to worry about sealed side benches, leaving them open in order to lower the capsized centerboard height?

Jon

Jon

Hi Jon

I see you found my old capsize test.

From memory I didn't think the height of the board was a problem. I used to sail 14 ft skiffs with a similar distance to the board and righting them was not a problem. I've scaled the old photo and at worst the board is 2 ft 4 inches above the waterline in capsize which is about my arm's length so should be reachable. No side tank buoyancy means recovery is very difficult due to the amount of water in the boat on righting.

I think the balance is about right on a coresound 17.

Cheers

Peter HK

The one time I rolled my CS17 it went all the way over (180 degrees). We were able right it, but had a difficult time getting back on board (no swim ladder). I can't remember how difficult it was to get up onto the capsized hull, so it probably wasn't difficult.

Two things.

If my memory serves me correctly (it does not always) Graham capsized in heavy weather in one of his EC adventures. Maybe he could comment or Allen or Doug or someone closer to the situation..

I think I mentioned it previously on this forum, but I once fell off my CS 17 when letting out a reef.  I was able to get back in the boat with great difficulty and it was in fairly protected water (I am not as young as I think I am 72).  Therefore, I recommend to everyone; add a boarding ladder to your boat.

Dale

David - My masts were consisted of lower and middle sections made of aluminum with a top section of wood (per the plans). The reason I went so far over was because I rolled the boat really hard (like a barrel roll in a fighter jet).

Dale - I agree with your boarding ladder opinion. For anyone who's unsure about whether they can reboard, I suggest they go out on a calm, warm and sunny day, remove the rudder and put it in the cockpit (to simulate the loss of the rudder), have a nice swim and then get back in the boat. Just for peace of mind.

Speaking of boarding ladders, one that immediately caught my eye was the one Chick put on the original Princess 22, as shown in this photograph:

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/princesspic14.htm

Have always been curious who makes it and where to get one. Would like to have one for my existing boat, plus the Princess 26 I'm building.

No wonder I've not seen these as commercial offerings. They look pretty much "bomb proof" to me. Four points of attachment, with some sturdy looking handrails and steps.

So how fast do we have to talk to get you to make a few more? I was hoping to snag at least one, so I could glue the backing blocks on the transom and pre-drill and backfill the mounting holes while the transom was still flat.

Lacking that, do you have a pattern and hardware list?

I think I may have located a similar ladder. Made by these guys:

http://www.metalogicinc.com/products/index.htm

They are located a few hours from me in Arkansas and in addition to being an OEM for the fishing boat industry, also do custom fabrications. They might be a source for stainless handrails, boom gallows, etc.

Somewhat expensive, but for a "one of", I'm probably miles ahead to go that way vs. muddling around trying to make my own.

These types of ladders are a dime a dozen, but you have to find them. See if there's any old boat bone yards in your area. A little polishing and replacing worn our teak steps is easy enough. Another place to look is repair shops, where you'll find 2 or 3 old boats that have huge and outstanding bills on them, the owner hasn't settled. You can usually talk them out of a ladder or other part, if the boat has been "liened" and the yard now owns it. A $150 ladder will quickly become a $50 ladder, needing some love. I even have one I'd be willing to sell you.

• Like 1

Boarding Ladders.

Here is the one I put on 'Lively'

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Garelick+Stainless+Steel+Transon+Ladder+Step

Here is the one I bought and will put on my Marissa 'Salty'.  Which is almost done.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelick-compact-2-step-stainless-steel-transom-ladder.html