Stinger ratio and jig - sanity check

garrett6575

I was surprised that I couldn't find a recommended ratio for the stringer angle in the book or assembly instructions.  I used a 1:10 ratio, I am curious if that is what others are using.

In terms of the jig, after reading a few horror stories on table saw accidents when trying to cut the stringer angle, I put together this jig for a circular saw to cut them.  I am curious on peoples thought as to how this compares to a table saw jig for both ease of use and safety.  I find it very easy to use, the jig is clamped down and I have a few scraps screwed in for alignment and hold down so I just put on one spring clamp and cut away.  The cut probably isn't as smooth as a table saw, but I am using cedar and a few seconds of sanding smooths it up easily.  

Finally, I used epoxy because I had some.  Do people recommend epoxy or is waterproof wood glue(titebond 3) good enough?  My stringers are done, but I am already thinking ahead about building a stonefly, so I plan on doing this again ;>

post-3253-0-68614200-1373047979_thumb.jpg

post-3253-0-57399600-1373048001_thumb.jpg

I was surprised that I couldn't find a recommended ratio for the stringer angle in the book or assembly instructions. 

If writing was easy we would all do it.  :) Two or three people proof read that before publishing and I am still finding things I would change. I decided your never through writing a book. You just give up and publish it. 

I did mean scarf joint angle.  

Jeff no disrespect to the book, I find it very thorough - as you can see, I can't even post without needing to correct it  :)

The one thing I like about epoxy over wood glue is that it seems to fill the gaps betters so if the mating surface of the joints aren't perfect it should give a better bond.