rubrails

rmckdo

Not quite sure what you mean by "downsize" them.

You are going to need 4 pieces 16' long for upper and lower rails. If you rip down a 1X6 with a thin kerf blade you will end up with 4 strips just over 1 1/4 X 3/4 and that should work just fine.

If you don't have a table saw or access to one, you can build a simple angled jig to plane the angle on shorter pieces to scarf them together. You would probably need a 10' and an 8' to make it work. It isn't all that difficult to do, it just takes a little patience.

I would purchase this for the rub rails. All you have to remember is that you need to rip it into 4 even sized pieces. It will make the rails slightly smaller then the plan call for. It should not be a problem. I used a 1x8 in pine as these are a sacrifical piece to be replaced when they get torn up. I have not put my boat i the water as yet but have had other boats and they all had rub rails that got torn up.

clarification... wondering if the smaller size rails from one 1x6 would have structural implications... I was thinking they were a part of the "box" structure, if the size was important then I'll need to buy two.(@$54)

Shouldn't make any difference if they are 1 1/2 or 1 1/4. Like he says, they are going to get dinged and they protect the hull and hull/deck junction from getting damaged. You can get 4 strips out of the 1X6 if you use a thin kerf blade and no one but you will ever see the difference.

Everyone was a rookie at one point or another. So don't worry about it. Lots of really good information from the other builders, some are rookies too. A couple had never used a circular saw before starting these boats.

Just do like Peter Stevenson says, Slow down, you move too fast. Got to make the moment last. Whoops, that sounds more like a song. :lol:

If you have a table saw or access to one ripping the rails from that stock will be a breeze. If you need to use a circular saw, just set the guide and take it slow and easy. Not the end of the world if it isn't perfect. It isn't a piece of furniture, (Jake may disagree howver). If you have your heart set on the mahogany then go for it. I would check the board to make sure it doesn't have much runout on the grain. Nearly straight grain would be preferrable. Cuz mahogany is brittle. Ask Frank, he has had a lot of fun with it.

hmmm, let me rephrase that, I have in my garage what appears to be the makings of a sailboat, I did build a cedar strip canoe (Mac McCarthys Wee Lassie) last winter and could eventually figure out the scarfing concept, but earlier post referred to its failure, hence the long wood search. My prior woodworking experience was sharpening a pencil.

take home message...anyone contemplating this project should know that even my premastbox angle came out to be 93 degrees... :D

so jump right in...the hardest part for me was just starting and keeping up the momentum. These boards provide hours of inspiration.

Yes, it is hard for a lot of us to maintain momentum. Things just get in the way of building. You know, families, activities, work, yard work, honeydo projects. baseball games.

I'm blessed with living where I do, there is such a wealth of history of boat building in this area and such a tremendous variety of boats to inspire anyone interested in taking on a project. There are times when I would like nothing more than to organize a monthlong trip for midwesterners to see what this part of the world is like from a wooden boat enthusiast perspective. Get you out on some of these old boats and feel and smell the salt. It does inspire one to do a lot. The mild climate also helps as we can really build all year long here. Yes, we need some heat in the middle of the winter, but we just don't have the extremes to deal with that you do. And we have a ton of lakes that are really spectacular to explore. I am only about 100 ft. away from one of the prettiest urban lakes in the US. But it is surrounded by low hills and the sailing isn't that great on it. But only 3 miles to Lake Washinton, and it is 22 miles long and fantastic.

Motivation enough here. And it is a world of boaters of all shapes, sizes and descriptions. Year round. Now if the water were only about 75 degrees it would be perfect.