CS 20 for sale

Doug Cameron

I think you confuse market price and value. Grand Canyon, Freedom, my kids and wife all have value without having market price. Doug's 20 has value even if it does not sell simply because of emotional content of him building it. It is valuable to him for that reason as well as the simple fact that he can have a blast sailing it while he waits for the market to come back. He'll sell it eventually and I suspect that when he does the money will quickly pour into another bigger and "better" boat. PeterP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm the sailor in Maine and hope to get out on the water shortly. I'm sur I'll have questions as I put her through her paces. I live just outside of Portland so Casco Bay is about 5 miles from my house. Doug was nice enough to haul the boat to his cousins in Virginia where it sat for a week or so befor I blasted down leaving 3am Monday getting home 5 am Tuesday. Who ever invinted concrete paved highways should be made to drive on them for 24 hrs non stop.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

What a fiery topic!

Love vs. economics, value vs. value, etc. vs. etc... the drama!

I like the happy ending, but I'd love to read an epilogue...

Did the new owner get his boat in the water? Did industry spies take a mold off the hull and set up shop overseas to pop out cheaply made, soulless, underperforming copies of the CS20 at a fraction of the price (they always look right, but never quite work right...)? Did the boat win the annual Stephen King Regatta after hours of intense leader-swapping?

What a fiery topic!

Love vs. economics, value vs. value, etc. vs. etc... the drama!

I like the happy ending, but I'd love to read an epilogue...

Did the new owner get his boat in the water? Did industry spies take a mold off the hull and set up shop overseas to pop out cheaply made, soulless, underperforming copies of the CS20 at a fraction of the price (they always look right, but never quite work right...)? Did the boat win the annual Stephen King Regatta after hours of intense leader-swapping?

The new owner did get the boat in the water but only got a chance to sail it maybe 6 times. Although we did not sail this year in the annual Stephen King Regatta, I was to afraid of a sea serpent attack or something similar, we did participate in the infamous "Duffer's Cup". 

Now the Duffer's Cup, once known as the Gaffer's Cup, has been taking place for more than 30 years and it was once rumored that the combined age of the boat and captain had to exceed 100 years. It always takes place on the same day, the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend; rain, snow, hail or gale. In my fifteen years of sailing the race I have experienced all of that. One year I was sailing the race on a 32 foot pilot sloop with my fiancé and a 40 knot gust knocked us down with the sails hitting the water. There were several times that our winches were under water; by the way we are still together and are now married. Ya, ya, ya, we all knew were over canvased but sometimes that's fun, what can I say. Mind you there is no handicapping, we have 45 footers sailing against 17 footers. It is a 16 mile race around the islands and the little guys can dance between the rocks and closer to the islands if they choose to trim some distance and get out of the currents which can be a major advantage which is what I did this year and smoked a Colin Archer but couldn't keep up with that same pilot sloop. Frankly, it is more of a mess about followed by beer and fries for a last hurrah on the water during one of the best sailing times here in Maine, which oddly enough takes place after all the yahoos have pulled their boats which makes it even better.

No molds taken off the boat but the boat was referred to as the mysterious green boat during the Duffers Cup. None of my buddies had seen the boat yet.

Speaking towards the economics. The fact of the matter is, its tough selling a home built boat. When I go to sell, I know I will have a hard time which weighed heavy on my decision. I certainly could have found a good used boat for less money that frankly when I go to sell I would be able to recoup most of my monies. But I had specific wants and needs and I thought the CS20 better met those goals thus I was willing to pay a premium. I think I ended up buying it for $7500 which I think was a lot for a home built boat but I'm sure Doug thought I got the boat at a bargain. Having been in Doug's position, I can understand his feelings. Doug also drove the boat to VA cutting down a lot of travel, so that was also worth something. In the end, we both took some pain so I guess they were successful negotiations.

Still trying to get used to the boat and plan to do some minimal repairs to things this winter; I'm trying not to make this boat a project nor a heirloom, I've been there and done that but it does need some work. I think next summer I'll get a better feel for the boat and hopefully trim some of the setup time. With the two masts, hanking on the sails, and then the running rigging, there is a fair amount of setup time involved. When you have two young kids running around, every minute is precious. I also need to adjust the trailer, I'm pretty anal on trailer set up and I need to get rid of a lot of tongue weight.

The boat sails well enough, very light on the helm and relatively fast. Certainly nice to be able to sail in skinny waters.

The saga continues.

Hope you enjoyed the epilogue.

Dave

I definitely enjoyed the epilogue.

Thanks for the good natured response!

I think the thing that makes your boat valuable is the fact that you can only get one by building one or buying one from someone who put the heart into doing so. It's a proven design with scads of favorable qualities, so the supply/demand dynamics should give you a good resale value, as well.

I definitely enjoyed the epilogue.

Thanks for the good natured response!

I think the thing that makes your boat valuable is the fact that you can only get one by building one or buying one from someone who put the heart into doing so. It's a proven design with scads of favorable qualities, so the supply/demand dynamics should give you a good resale value, as well.

A couple quotes I feel related to the discussion above.  dale

"A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

At her home in Tokyo

author, collector, and folk art champion

Amy Katoh 

speaking of objects made by hand

says,

"You can hear the voices 

of the people who made them

when you use them"

• Like 1