Spindrift 12 Photos

Alex

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share some photos of the Spindrift 12 that I built for my 11 year old son. We use this boat extensively for fishing and sailing. I took most of these photos today when I went for a sail by myself in 15 to 20 knot winds. I was quite surprised sailing downwind and doing what I would think to be 10 knots plus with water spraying everywhere and I was having a ball. I have never sailed this fast in this boat before. Just as well I was by myself as my son would have been crapping himself. What a boat. I can't wait to build the Coresound17. I saw a pod of about 20 to 30 dolphins today with what looked to be 2 or 3 babies as well that were flopping all over the place. What a great day.

Hope you enjoy.

Alex.

post-3160-0-95194400-1371300913_thumb.jpg

post-3160-0-91385500-1371300988_thumb.jpg

post-3160-0-44695200-1371301021_thumb.jpg

post-3160-0-51675400-1371301097_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

For the oars I used 4mm rope and a clam cleat to keep them in place. Quick and easy to remove and replace. My son chose the colors which is why the center board, rudder and tiller are red.

Alex.

Some builders have favorite colors from long ago, some ask for color advice from friends, or even in this forum.  Sometimes I think some pick them out of a hat. But................................

My son chose the colors which is why the center board, rudder and tiller are red.

has to be one of if not the best options there is.  Whether it is fishing, sailing or building,  I hope you can share in your boating adventures with him for many years.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi thegools,

I can pick the boat up by myself so I would say that it is no more than 50 to 60 kilos. You should be able to roof rack it if needed. I made a very light weight trailer for it. You will love this boat. My son and I went out sailing again yesterday and we had an awesome days sail and hopefully we will be out there again tomorrow. I am very happy with the performance of this boat. I used a second hand Laser mast and sail and have now bought a new sail from isail.com for $185 Australian. Whenever I am cleaning or walking past the boat I look at it and think what a great looking boat design it is. I can't wait to start and finish the Coresound 17 to see how well it sails.

Alex.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer.  I am happy to tell you I keep coming back to your pictures over and over because I like them so much.  Plus they are high definition and large.  It makes it easy to see things, and it saves me a thousand questions.  (It hink someone above made a similar comment.)  Are you planning to post any pictures of the construction?  I am sure that would be well received.  (I sure would love to see them.) And, it would answer another 1000 questions I have.

I wonder, can you get this boat to plane under sail and/or motor?  Also, how does it do in a swell/chop?  I am thinking about building this to take my two sons (age 7 &9) on sails int he rivers around here and the Bay, and to take them on some overnight camping trips.

Thanks again.  I really like your boat.

Kirk G.

Hi Kirk,

I didn't bother to take any photos of the construction at the time. I now wished that I did of course. It does plane under sail and motor and I think it handles the chop fairly well for a boat of this size. If you would like to have a chat sometime, you can email me your phone number or Skype contact and I can give you a call.

My email is fune18@yahoo.com.

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

Yes, she is a great looking boat, not because I built it but because Graham designed it. We use a 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke for fishing and putting around. She rows quite well with 7 foot 6 inch oars and she sails wonderfully for such a small boat. You will not be disappointed if you build it. I have people come up to me at the boat ramp and ask if she is wood or plastic. They all like the design.

Alex.