Outer Banks 20 with Bimini...

beauregard

During the summer I often thought that "loosing" the dog house would be a good idea. It got hot under there without a breeze. But in rainy or cold weather it sure was nice! Flip-out windows in the front would have been a good idea. Most all of the local small crabbers and shrimpers are done that way. I did remove my side windows on hot days and that helped some.

If I were to do it over again, I would keep the doghouse, but with the change of opening front windows. Then you're ready for anything---besides, she's so durn pretty as she is!

I don't think it has to be completely ugly without the "house"..   Here is an inspiration I found today..

http://roeboats.com/boats-2/motorboats/22ninigret/

The day I took off the windshield off my 1959 17' Lyman was the best boat ride I had with that boat.. Incidentally it never went back on..  Another thing I'm looking for is the ability to grab the dock when solo boating.. With the house you would have to run around or have an assistant.. 

post-1552-0-33322500-1369799573_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'd lose the doghouse either. I am planning on building this boat as well starting next month if all goes as planned, and I was hoping for a boat with a bit more shade than it has as drawn as well. My uses would be along the coast of the Carolinas and down in Florida along the ICW, so the shade is a big deal. My plan is to continue the roof lines all the way back to the rear of the boat, much like Doug Hylan did on his 29' Marsh Hen http://www.dhylanboats.com/marsh_hen_plans.html. I am waiting to see what Graham thinks about the idea before I proceed. The biggest issue I see is the low roof height, but a couple access openings on the roof with removable panels can make accessing the boat easier.

While the Marsh Hen is 9' longer than the OB20, the overall look would be similar. I plan to make my front windows hinged in order to get a good breeze going through as Chick suggested.

I think if you are really looking for something to cruise Powell there are better options out there than to hack up the OB20 to suit. It doesn't do the boat justice to stray far from the intended look.

John

My plan is to continue the roof lines all the way back to the rear of the boat................

What about adding a bimini instead?  It could be higher than the top of the hard structure to provide head room.  For some reason canvas work on a boat, dodgers, biminis and such don't seem to distract from the lines as much as hard structures.  it is almost as if they don't count, or aren't really there.  It is easier to forgive the distraction, or something like that.  Anyway, that is how I see it in my own warped point of view.

I absolutely love the Outer Banks hull but want something without such a confining cabin..  Thinking of building it as a Lake Powell Utah Cruiser

and would like the open air in our faces but also want some shade.. 

I too think that the hull looks great and am thinking seriously about the build. I, (with the blessing of the designer) would like to build the boat without the cabin and just have an "open" boat, style tiller steer and probably keep a crawl space up front for dry storage. Whilst I don't have the computer skills that beauregard possess with photo chopping, I have to use my imagination to try to picture it. I think it would look o/k......anyone's thoughts?

Trev