CS 20 MAY 7 PHOTOS

Hello all,

bit more done this week, lot of filleting/coving and taping. Extra timber pieces put in place under seat tops.

Deck beams being laminated which look good. Centreboard starting tomorrow. Am wondering whether to put a little bit of lead in the board to let it drop and stay down, not as ballast but just to give the board negative bouancy.???

Have ordered the mast tubing. Going for alumin 80mm, 60mm and 50mm. Could not get the same as the plan but having 2mm walls instead to reduce any risks. Rang a anodiser firm and they recommend 25micron coating on boat gear so shall ponder that. It is another $200 Aus but feel that if I don't do it and go with the luff tube style of sail like my laser then shall get alumin oxide stains on sail over time as it corrodes/oxidises..??? Otherwise it is external powder coating but would probably cost $100 so why sweat I guess.

Must go to bed...

Rob Blackburn..

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/Menu34.html

Rob,

On both my centerboard and rudder I used a hole saw and drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole. I taped heavily on one side and set them tape-side down. Then I filled the holes with lead shot and epoxy. I overfilled a bit to compensate for shrinking. I used a good mask when sanding it fair.

I really like the difference it made. Both boards float a bit lower in the water than they did before, but still rise up easily when finding the bottom.

Actually, a little more weight wouldn't hurt.

I finished the boards with epoxy with graphite added. I sanded them down and they looked really good, so I sanded down to 600 grit and they look like carbon fiber parts from an America's Cup contender!

My sanding started to show through where the original epoxy finish was, so I stopped because I wanted to go sailing, and not add another coat or two to make it perfect. However, another step with polishing compound would really have a fantastic effect.