CS 17

Paul356

post-1405-0-66191800-1465320644_thumb.jpgtrying a new photo method suggested by a member, see if that darn cat will stay upright.  Otherwise I will need to keep sending pictures to Australia so they turn rightside up down under.

edit:  Success!  Meester suggested saving the photo into MS Paint first, which I did as a jpeg.  At least this time it's standing on its own four paws.

I use MS Paint for photos.  Not for editing them for the forum, my camera soft ware does that.  But for creating images that I want to see, or study.  My desktop background now is a MS Paint doctored picture of my Lapwing.  In it I have filled in the sheer strake with teal, instead of white.  I just can't seem to stop considering doing this, in spite of really liking it white also.  I have used it to draw in things that aren't there yet (if ever) as well.  It also makes great simple diagrams which can be easily posted here as part of an explanation.

• 1 month later...

Some days and weeks, it seems like nothing happens.  And then a day like yesterday comes along, and I think that, yes, someday there may be a cat-ketch in my future after all.  I got the center thwart finally fitted and positioned.  I cut a hole in it (scary), popped the mizzen in the fore step and put the stub main in the mizzen hole, fiddled and measured and got everything lined up, and now the step and tube are positioned and all is ready to be goopepd glued.  It was great to see the spars in place, even tho one spar is still stumpy.

And I can't complain too much, since I just got back from taking the big boat to Door County for two weeks, and had a very nice trip.  As we here in Wisconsin like to say, Cape Cod is the Door County of the East.post-1405-0-99811400-1469316626_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Progress on CarrieB over the past few weeks:

First the carlins, which were fun to bend and fit.

post-1405-0-88250000-1473352875_thumb.jpg

Then I was able to complete the framing and to paint the locker and air chamber interiors.

post-1405-0-82435500-1473352658_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-78975400-1473352733_thumb.jpg

The seat panels followed.  It's such a pleasure to feel the hull become more solid and sturdy with each new panel added.  And I loved curving in the fore decks.

post-1405-0-26314000-1473353092_thumb.jpg

Side decks were last.  Talk about adding rigidity to the hull.

post-1405-0-84379800-1473353214_thumb.jpg

Finally came trimming the side decks back to the carlins, to get ready to add the coamings.  I used a flush cut router bit, touched up with a spokeshave to match the bevel.  It didn't take long. I still need to trim the outside edges to match the hull.

post-1405-0-02350300-1473353331_thumb.jpg

I went with squared corners at the front of the cockpit.  I wanted sturdy coamings and, unlike the rest of you craftspeople, couldn't figure out a good and easy way to make the curves, at least not in this lifetime.  Plus I like the extra room and places to sit up front.  The side coamings will be the same material you see up front, fir from the local yard (although apparently harvested out west somewhere), finished bright.  The fore and side decks will be finished bright.  The remainder of the interior, or most of it, will be white.  The transom will be bright, too.

You may recall I finished the outside of the hull last year.  Backwards, I guess, but sometimes it just comes out that way, prompted in part with an urge to see some progress and the availability of hull-flippers.  In the water this year?  Not sure, and I'll be on break for two weeks now.

And one more photo:  I did get out for a couple of weeks on the big boat.  I like this shot, anchored in Detroit Harbor, Washington Island, at the tip of Door County, Wis., in Lake Michigan.  A cold front was moving in.  With two anchors out, we weathered the ensuing blow just fine.  The next time I'm there, I hope it's in the 17.

post-1405-0-89534500-1473354248_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've been making a bit progress in past weeks.  It seems like a lot of progress to me, given the time spent, although I'm not sure how much the pictures show.  I was able to do some additional filleting, filling and sanding in the cockpit.  More notably, I finally trimmed the outside edge of the deck to size, gave the edges a roundover, re-epoxied those raw edges and other  bare spots, finished off the forward hatch frame, installed the center trim strips on the foredeck and installed the rubrails.  I also re-filleted the coamings, since the initial fillet seemed lacking in spots.  All of that was followed by much sanding, up to 220 grit, on decks and transom. 

And then came the magic of the first coat of varnish. All of that hazy whitish surface turned sparkling, just in time to show the Thanksgiving visitors.  It never ceases to amaze me how the grain comes shining through on that first coat.  I really like the fir and dark contrast.  I'm even happy with the splotchy transom, which I guess got that way due to putting a layer of cloth on it and I don't quite now what else.  There will be enough lettering, rudder, motor mount and other doodads on the transom that it will still look good this way to my eye, I think.

Now that it's apparently cold again for good, new launch ETA is spring 2017.  Sigh.

post-1405-0-77808400-1480538073_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-58144100-1480538114_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-22373300-1480538567_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-32487000-1480538193_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just got back from winter storage!  I hope the next photos will be trial rigging, or something else that actually looks like sailing.  It won't be long now.  Unless there's a hailstorm in a gale with lightning coming out of funnel clouds, formal christening is May 20.

Home for the season.jpg

• Like 1