CS 17

Paul356

Here's a little diversion.  Wife, daughter and I took the big boat (36 foot cruiser) from Milwaukee to Sheboygan last weekend on Lake Michigan.  The hot southwest breeze was very, very strong, and we were even surfing some, even under a double-reefed main.  Alas, we came up a couple miles short before the squall hit us.  Strong winds, downdrafts, blinding rain and even a bit of hail.  But like any good boat, she handled it and was ready for a lot more than we were.  Here's the squall just before it hit.  This is usually known as a "white squall" on Lake Mich.  It drove in from the north.   I kept wondering what a CS 17 would do in these conditions, both the screaming southwester and the squall.  Stay close to the beach, I think.

post-1405-0-85132300-1439176546_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd post a few pictures of nuts and bolts process.  I ended up with the hull upside down literally from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  First sanding and smoothing the hull, then a thin coat of epoxy, then a layer of 4 oz. cloth (on Fourth of July), applied with epoxy.  Then at least two more coats of epoxy, three more in some areas, and sanded with 80 grit.  Two coats of primer and three coats of color.  She's finally back on her feet and ready for some interior work again.  It seems like a long haul, but I have not been working very steadily.  For those who are planning:  Cloth and initial epoxy took about 3 hours.  A coat of epoxy took about 2; a hard sanding at least 2. A light sanding and a coat of paint a total of about 3 hrs.  By the way, I used the new Jamestown single part primer and enamel and found them easy to apply with good results.  I rolled and tipped.  I was going for a "4-foot-finish" and easily achieved that.  I think with double the prep time on sanding, I could have just as easily gotten a very top notch high gloss "6-inch" finish.

This foto shows the cloth draped, ready for application after completing and smoothing the initial coat of epoxy on the plywood.

post-1405-0-77986500-1442103610_thumb.jpg

Boat looks great, this painting nonsense has been the most work on my build.

I am a pilot along the gulf coast and I THOUGHT I knew weather. Several years ago we were at a event in the midwest and a line of thunderstorms were approaching the area. I was "rather dismissive" of that little ole line of rain, till that sucker hit! The gulf coast couldn't make a storm that violent unless we call it a hurricane! You guys definitely win the violent weather contest, hands down!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Alex.  I added main mast step, tube, etc., today.  Pix tomorrow.  Cutting a hole in king plank is slightly traumatic.   I should add that the forward king plank section is a piece of the packing crate Graham sent the kit in.  I thought it would be fun to include "a piece of B&B" in the boat.  That southern pine is tough stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a couple of shelves in the bow compartment for odds and ends, maybe docklines and such that would be hard to fish out of the depths..  I angled them outward, thinking things might stay put a little better.  We'll see.  When I got them in, I told the girls each of their cats could have one.....

post-1405-0-96303200-1448846945_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-86538100-1448847025_thumb.jpg

post-1405-0-20664800-1448847082_thumb.jpg