How to cut sandpaper

Gordy Hill

Everyone seems to have a favorite way of cutting sandpaper.

I use the back side of a hacksaw blade after folding the sandpaper sand side out.

My hacksaw is one of my few tools that has a 'place'. It hangs on the wall over the workbench, is immediately available and goes right back when I'm done.

This little bit of efficiency is a bright spot in the wilderness of my world.

Try it once or twice. Slip the paper over the blade, zip, and it's cut neat and straight.

If cutting sandpaper with scissors is giving you the illusion of sharpening them,  then all it is doing is adding a burr to the edges the same way a steel adds a burr to the edge of a chef's knife.  I guarantee that it is significantly shortening the life of the scissors over all.  There is no good substitute for sharpening a tool properly when ever it is needed.  Using a hack saw blade to cut sandpaper is dulling the blade significantly.  It is justified by the fact that the blade is cheap and the convenience makes it worth while.

Dave,

The photos didn't get through. Use the BACK side of the hacksaw blade. Fold the sandpaper, Slip it over the back side of the blade at an angle and 'zip!' It's done, neat and clean. Try it once.

My photo is too large and I don't know how to reduce it.