Need a new cordless drill for self home project

leezacooper

I need a new cordless drill however I had a drill for cutting purpose. But I am looking for cordless drill with which I can easily perform self home projects at my own. Which type of drills can be used for home projects? How it could be if cordless drills will be definitely useful? How come about 18 volts "Basic cordless drill" which is with an adjustable clutch to maximize the drill's spinning power and an adjustable chuck which can accommodate drill bits as well as individual screwdriver bits. I want the best reviews about which brand of cordless drills are best to use like Dewalt cordless drills and Makita cordless drills.

• Like 1

This type of information is in great abundance online. What about this commonly available information are you having trouble with, that has caused you to join a forum like this and ask? Don't get me wrong, I welcome you here, but it seems odd at best, in light of the most basic of "Googling" skills, that this sort of thing can be easily ascertained with a few "key" words in a search box. A quick look at ConsumerReports.org, where several dozen cordless drills have been evaluated, might be a good start. Lastly, I consider weight a huge factor, more so then power, charge time or number of clutch settings. Nothing worse then a great drill, that you just can't use overhead for very long, in spite of it's many features.

• 3 months later...

@leezacooper

Hi you can try checking this out and hope it would help.

The Touch 909 12v drill is the worlds most advanced drill.

Easy to use Touch speed control with up to 4x the power and runtime of average 12v drills.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cohiMS9xbJU

For more information, kindly check this link:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/touch-the-worlds-most-advanced-drill

- andrei

Well, the Touch looks nice, but it isn't in production yet, and the creator is trying to finance making it using that Indie GoGo crowd sourcing project. So it wouldn't meet the immediate need of which cordless drill to buy.

I like Bosch and Makita. My favorite cordless right now is a light weight 9v Makita that has two batteries. One rests in the charger while I wear down the other one. It doesn't have the power that a 12 or 18v drill has, but is also very light, has a slim base, and doesn't wear me out if I'm "drilling overhead".

Frank has mentioned the biggest issue I have with cordless tools, weight. New batteries are helping in this regard, but I'll still use a corded drill if working on a lot of screws, particularly if over head. Ryobi has a nice compact drill and Hitachi lithium ion's are also good, entry level pieces. The last thing I need is a drill that doesn't apply the same amount of torque, through out the driving run. Lithium ion's are much better in this aspect.

Well, the Touch looks nice, but it isn't in production yet, and the creator is trying to finance making it using that Indie GoGo crowd sourcing project. So it wouldn't meet the immediate need of which cordless drill to buy.

I like Bosch and Makita. My favorite cordless right now is a light weight 9v Makita that has two batteries. One rests in the charger while I wear down the other one. It doesn't have the power that a 12 or 18v drill has, but is also very light, has a slim base, and doesn't wear me out if I'm "drilling overhead".

Thanks, most of the models will be released this year and currently in production. :) 

Thank you for looking...

I'm a renovator and use my drills hard every day. I've had an old Makita 18v nicad that was really good. The batteries died after about 2 years. The key to the nicad batteries is to run them down COMPLETELY before you recharge. Then you must regarge them FULLY.

I bought a Millwaukee 18v Lithion. It's mostly metal construction and looks pretty tough. With not too much use, the gear box broke though. Thanks to the lifetime warranty, I got it fixed for free. It's inconvienient though to drive it to a licenced repair shop.

While the Millwaukee was in the shop, I bought another Makita to keep me working. It was a modern 18v Lithion. It's got all the standard features: adustable clutch (which I NEVER use cause you can get used to the power in the trigger), LED light to see in dark corners. I've used this drill for two years now and it's still going strong. I drive it hard, use it in the cold, I'm not carful about charging it properly and it's the lightest drill I've ever held. It's all plastic but I've dropped it off ladders onto concrete multiple times with no damage. It's got a nice belt-hook too. For about $200 at home depot, it's a great value.

If you're looking for something in a lower price range, I'm afraid I don't have much experience.

Yes the new batteries seem to be lighter. It's probably a combination of being more compact and being smaller. Most Lithium batteries are lower amp hours than older Nicads. Thus, they are much smaller. They charge faster though, so you tend to switch and charge batteries more often. Once you need a new one the other is long since charged. Sometimes I wish I had bigger batteries (which you can special order) but the reduced weight of the small ones makes for a good comprimize. Posted Image

Haha! I'm too young to catch the "Huggy Bear" reference

Yeah, it does look kinda wierd. I have to say, after many hours of use, my drill is pretty much just grey all over now. Covered in a lot of drywall dust and dirt.

It's kind-of like that floral love-seat that your wife made you buy... You're not crazy about the colors but you figure "it will get browner as it gets older" (Red Green)

• 3 months later...

I saw this old thread and I thought I'd do an update on my little plug for Makita drills.

It's going on three years now and my Lithion 18v Makita batteries are starting to get weak. The drill itself is still in perfect working condition. In the cold weather the batteries die very quickly and charge slowly. It's almost time for a new one. (it's not worth buying new batteries)

Still, this is the best drill I've ever owned. After two-three years of industrial use, it's a great product.