Simulated canvas(?) fabric is here.

Kudzu

I was quite stunned when my UPS guy backed up to my door. When he backs up I know he has fabric or a really big shipment. I wasn't expecting this till next week. I am doing one last test on the samples I had and will make up my mind if it it needs to be sewn on tight of leave it loose and shrink it. It should be in the store by end of next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can re-shrink it. I tried  a sample in the shop.  But as Dave pointed out you could could create another problem by doing so.

From what I have seen I think it is just a much better idea to sew it on tight, then apply some heat to tighten it a bit more and pull out any wrinkles that developed around the stitching. 

Question on sewing. Can this be sown in a similar fashion as the 8oz poly in as such that you start at the cockpit and work towards the ends? When you did this in the video it allowed for a seam free bow and stern can this be done with this new stuff?

The only difference I see is that I recommend sewing it on tight instead of loose. I see no reason to change any other methods. Once again, the only reason is that this seems to stretch back out after shrinking. So sewing it on tight should prevent a problem.

As for the bow,  on Shad it should work fine because of the long taper on the ends.  On boats like Long Shot and Curlew with their bow shape you can't avoid sewing around the bow.

Keep in mind that I have not sewn a whole boat with this yet, just a small section with the sample they sent.  I haven't built a boat since I got this fabric in. I have sold several peices but I have not heard back yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a similar recycled polyester material for covering traditional decks and cabin roofs. It has the look and texture of canvas, but can be stretched to conform to compound curves, which is a very handy feature, especially on some decks or roofs. I've not tried to apply it the traditional way, with paint. I have used it with TiteBond III or epoxy. Both seem to take to it well and it's strength will make removal come repair or replacement time easier too.